Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
GT-R Maitenance cost nonsense or real? - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
westhill21

Default GT-R Maitenance cost nonsense or real?

So I have a 2010 gunmetal gray beauty that I cherish. My wife is an angel for giving me that very short window of opportunity by saying "go ahead, get it".

I have 11k miles on my GT-R and soon I will be subject to what I heard was the following:

18k miles = $2k fluids
~20k miles = $7k brake change

Is this real or do I dig for a couple hours to find it is a lot of hype? I know how to clean and detail the car like a madman but anything to do with the engine or parts I go full tard.

rather than spend the cash on that type of maintenance I figured I could just beg for another window to just trade up to a 2011 or even switch up to a Z! Whats the cost of a 2010 trade in right now anyway?

any help would be most appreciated. If cost of maintenance really is that high I might possibly be joining the 370z forums in the next year.
westhill21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
frosteds
Registered Member

I have a 09 purchased in October of 08. 11.000 miles and modified 540 to wheels..just replaced stock tires at 1600 from tire rack and now for sure dealer wants 1500 for oil, trans and diff fluids. Purchasing yourself is about 1200 for all fluids give or take. I am also changing my brake pads as the fronts are coming to an end to after market cost approximately 750 all around, stock pads are 829 for fronts only.....I am very surprised by the costs involved..but it is a race car for the road...anybody else have experiences?
frosteds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
CR8-10_GTR
Registered Member

Yeah, i heard of the high maintenance prices, like $4k for a brake job because they do all four at the same time. It's one of the privileges of owning a top end sports car. Ferraris are the same way.
CR8-10_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Shtolni
Registered Member

Nissan is taking us for a ride - they are charging ridiculous amounts to maintaint the GT-R. Here is what I suggest you consider -

1. avoid the Z (leave to the teenagers and those who want a GT-R).

2. If you do not track your car, the brakes will last until 35K or so (per 3 Nissan Technicians), and when they need replacing, assuming you replace all 4 rotors and pads as suggested by our good friends at Nissan, ask them how far they want you to bend over.

Then once you have gain your composure, go to speedforsale.com and buy one of their brake packages that, including labor, won't cost you more than $2,500 (which is not cheap either) to take care of your brakes.

On the other hand, simply change the pads (two dealerships have told me that they are will to do that) - which are likely to be the front pads only (again assuming you do not track it) costing you less a $1000. Note - unless you track or drive it extremely hard, you will not likely need to change the rear pads before 50,000 miles. I know two owners of GTRs who are living proof of it. And they don't drive like Miss Daisy either but they have not tracked their baby GT-R

3. As for fluids, this is a tough one. It is bordering on extortion and quite frankly pisses me off. What is Nissan thinking - Porsche is cheaper in this department. Nonetheless, you can find some good deals on the internet so that it does not cost more than $1,200 - 1,300 to change your transmission differential fluids (at 18,000 miles). Somthing you should definitely do.

4. Oil & filter changes - $500 worth for cars driven to 35,000 miles or so. Nissan decided to give us a break on this one - probably felt sorry for us sheep.

5. As for tires, you can adjust them to non-sport mode and they should last much longer. But tires is something any owner of a high-performance car must maintain at a $$$$. Then again, buying good used tires on the internet can reduce your tire cost by more than 50%. I know this from first hand experience.

All in all, Nissan pulled a little bit a fast one on the GT-R - lower purchase price with higher maintenance cost. So - to recap, once you hit 35,000 - 40,000 miles or so, I estimate that you will likely [need] to spend at a minimum, about $2,700 in maintainence not including tires. Again not cheap - but this is a supercar that requires higher maintenance than your usual car. Unfortunately our brothers and sisters at Nissan are trying to make up for the lower cost of such an awesome performance car by trying to make us pay through the nose to keep our beloved GT-R in tip top shape to humble Porsches and Ferraris.

I would also add that the free maintenance on the M5 and M6, although not in the same supercar category as the GT-R, is looking pretty darn good. The only thing it does not cover is tires.

I hope this is helpful,

Nir
Shtolni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Hello! While factory GT-R parts are very expensive, you will find that you can purchase discounted OEM parts or even aftermarket upgrades from us for MUCH cheaper than at a dealership. For example:

Complete Street brake system (Max Slot rotors, Carbotech pads, stainless brake lines, and Motul fluid) for only $1999 with FREE shipping. These perform better than stock and do not have any low speed squeal if bedded properly:
http://www.speedforsale.com/nissangt...dl09i256222a13

Also, the fluids are a bit steep, but you can find them for a much better price here:
http://www.speedforsale.com/nissangt...dl09i256222a13

Please let us know if we can help you with anything.

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
0260N3

I purchased the maintenance plan-first 3 yrs or certain mileage for I think it was 8k...
0260N3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
Shtolni
Registered Member

I know - gave speedforsale.com a plug with respect to the GTR brake package for $2K. Nir
Shtolni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
GTeaR

Hey guys, I've learned a lot about the GTR as well and I've been setting up my financials to to pick up a white gtr from the States (I live in Canada) sometime in the next year. But reading this forum makes me think, does warranty not cover all these maintenances?

T.
GTeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
TODGTR
Registered Member

No the only covered maintenance expenses are the 1,000 mile service and the annual inspections at 12, 24, and 36 months. That is all free. If you want to cut you costs change your own fluids and don't drive it everyday. The tires were my biggest expense.
TODGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
PKROCKT

Give it some time, more after market companies will come out with cheaper parts.
'08 IS-F
'07 STI Ltd. GT35R (486awhp/441ft/lbs) on pump (track)
'04 M3 SMG (track)
PKROCKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
icebuffalo
Registered Member

You don't have to go OEM parts... I saved $2k by doing brakes myself with aftermarket pads / rotors on my porsche cayenne. Also ask for a discount, typically dealer cost I think is 35%-40% off on parts, they are usually willing to give you a 10-15% if you ask!
icebuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote