SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should Nissan have badged the GT-R as an Infiniti?
Absolutely, I wish it was the Infiniti GT-R. 31 18.79%
No way, it's always been a Nissan & always will be. 117 70.91%
I don't care either way, the brand doesn't matter to me. 17 10.30%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
ATL-Porsche
Registered Member

Default POLL: Should Nissan have baged the GT-R as an Infiniti?

Nissan could have easily rolled out the GT-R under the Infiniti brand here in the US. If they had done this, it's without question that many of those that turned their nose up at the GT-R may have changed their minds. They could have charged another 10k for it if it were the new Infiniti GT-R supercar. Look at the Lexus LF-A, no one's saying "oh, it's just a Toyota" but you hear "it's just a Nissan" all the time from mucle car, p-car, f-car enthusiasts.

Honestly, do you think Nissan should have badged their GT-R as an Infiniti or are you glad that they stuck with the Skyline heritage and kept it a Nissan?

Last edited by ATL-Porsche; 03-08-2008 at 03:43 PM..
ATL-Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Fast GTR

It needs to stay true to its roots and be, as its always been, a Nissan.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Medrivfast
Registered Member

I'm glad they stuck with it as a Nissan.
Medrivfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTR View Post
It needs to stay true to its roots and be, as its always been, a Nissan.

Agreed!

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
REK125
Registered Member

Name plates mean nothing to me. I am happy it was badged as it is because I had a very positive experience with my local Nissan dealer when I ordered one. He has always been honest with me and has stayed with his original MSRP quote.
REK125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
iRONDONKEY
Registered Member

nissan ftw!
iRONDONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
ATLsupra
NGTRC Sponsor

Well, I am the odd ball and voted it as Infiniti
Why, because, when it's time to do maintenance, you will see the difference how staff treating you compare to Nissan. You will also get free car wash if it's under Infiniti and free loaner car if the service takes long.

Chinchi
SpeedForSale.com Parts Manager
Telephone: 770-777-4774
---
ATLsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
ATL-Porsche
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLsupra View Post
Why, because, when it's time to do maintenance, you will see the difference how staff treating you compare to Nissan. You will also get free car wash if it's under Infiniti and free loaner car if the service takes long.
Nice... you are an honest man. The good news is as a GT-R owner they are rolling out the red carpet for us. We work with a dedicated master technician and are able to schedule service using a special website that they'll have setup for us. Also I think being that these cars will be rare, if you get off to a good start with the dealership and service team I think they'll know you by name (hopefully not because you're there a lot) when it comes time to service. As for a loaner car, I guess they'll be dropping me off in an Altima. LOL
Old 03-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
Tere
Registered Member

Agree with Nissan due to the true heritage.

I also hate the local Inifiniti dealership here with an undying passion--they seem to think their poop don't stink and anyone who drives anything other than an Infiniti is lower than whale doo-doo in the Marianas Trench. I showed up in my '03 350 looking to buy a G-37C, and they wouldn't give me the time of day. Plus the specific G-37C (VIN#) I as looking to buy was completely covered in bird poop. So I gave 'em a big whoosh of BOV, drove across the street and bought the '07 350ZR.

At one time, one of our 5 Nissan dealerships had a top-notch service department, but then they hired a new Service Manager (a complete idiot) and all the top folks were gone within 3 months (there were only 3 mechanics who were allowed to touch my '03 350, and they all left). Now I wouldn't trust them to do an oil change. So, the three GT-R dealerships will have to do some very serious mechanic hiring/training to support the GT-R. The GT-R mechanics are also supposed to be enhancing 350 support when they're not doing GT-Rs.
1991 White 300ZX Twin Turbo (SGP Stage V+) - Z FLYBY
Black/black GT-R on order
Tere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
rabenoja
Registered Member

I voted for the last option. I honestly don't care either way. I would have bought the car if it was a nissan or inifiniti or whatever.
rabenoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
rabenoja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche View Post
Nice... you are an honest man. The good news is as a GT-R owner they are rolling out the red carpet for us. We work with a dedicated master technician and are able to schedule service using a special website that they'll have setup for us. Also I think being that these cars will be rare, if you get off to a good start with the dealership and service team I think they'll know you by name (hopefully not because you're there a lot) when it comes time to service. As for a loaner car, I guess they'll be dropping me off in an Altima. LOL

Hey where did you hear about the website? Anymore info on that?

As far as loaner cars, it is one of the benefits of owning the gtr (via the official gtr website). I just hope that we can choose from the model lineup...it would suck being stuck with a versa!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Tere
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabenoja View Post

As far as loaner cars, it is one of the benefits of owning the gtr (via the official gtr website). I just hope that we can choose from the model lineup...it would suck being stuck with a versa!
All they're promising is a set of wheels. Just hope it's got 4 and isn't a Moped.

It's not important to me, I just pull a Z out of the stable when the GT-R goes in for service.
1991 White 300ZX Twin Turbo (SGP Stage V+) - Z FLYBY
Black/black GT-R on order
Tere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
rabenoja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere View Post
All they're promising is a set of wheels. Just hope it's got 4 and isn't a Moped.
HAHA!!! How true! I agree with you, the loaner car really won't matter to me (the GTR will be a weekend car) or to most. I'm sure other members have some other type of transportation if need be but, it wouldn't hurt if the dealers would give me an armada/maxima/titan while my baby is getting serviced.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
ATL-Porsche
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabenoja View Post
When I ordered my GT-R the GM told me that Nissan was setting up a system that we can use. It's exclusive to GT-R customers and they are doing this in order to separate the GT-R customers from the regular Nissan customers. As soon as I get more details I'll be sure to post them here.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
GODZILLA_GTR
Registered Member

NISSAN! Stay true to the roots! If it was under Infiniti... somehow the GTR would not look different to my eyes. Plus you know it would of cost more if it was sold as a Infiniti. I'm really glad they stuck with Nissan.
GODZILLA_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #16
samurai_sony
Registered Member

I agree with Infiniti you are more likely to get better service. However, i purchase a new g35 coupe and to be honest it was not all that great of service. Warrantee is a diff story. At the end of the day i am glad they stuck with Nissan because of the history of the car. It makes it more appealing in my opinion.

Similar to the Lexus LFA. It looks great but if they tell me that would be the new supra, It would not be as appealing as if they came out with a new Supra, or called in an MKV or something. Either way the new GTR looks great.
samurai_sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
ATL-Porsche
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sony View Post
I agree with Infiniti you are more likely to get better service. However, i purchase a new g35 coupe and to be honest it was not all that great of service. Warrantee is a diff story. At the end of the day i am glad they stuck with Nissan because of the history of the car. It makes it more appealing in my opinion.

Similar to the Lexus LFA. It looks great but if they tell me that would be the new supra, It would not be as appealing as if they came out with a new Supra, or called in an MKV or something. Either way the new GTR looks great.
Personally I think the service varies from dealer to dealer even within a given brand. I've had red carpet service at one Porsche dealership, and terrible service at another. Land Rover has been amazing here in ATL, but was crap in LA. I think you just have to get lucky and it doesn't hurt to form a relationship with your local dealer/service people.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #18
samurai_sony
Registered Member

You are 100% on it. I way i cant wait to the car comes out. I am loving the red GTR. I would normaly like black but i allready have a black supra. The moment i am finish with the supra i will get me a red GTR. 2009/2010 a lot of good looking cars are coming out but so far this is the one that is most apealing. Good luck with yours.
samurai_sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #19
ATL-Porsche
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sony View Post
You are 100% on it. I way i cant wait to the car comes out. I am loving the red GTR. I would normaly like black but i allready have a black supra. The moment i am finish with the supra i will get me a red GTR. 2009/2010 a lot of good looking cars are coming out but so far this is the one that is most apealing. Good luck with yours.
Thanks! I'm not usually a fan of red but I think it looks good on the GT-R. I'll have to dig up some photos I have in my collection (lots) and post one of the better looking red ones that I've seen.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
MiamiGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLsupra View Post
Me too. I was just talking to a friend about this. I hope it's not like the Z06. You buy the flagship, but get treated like you bought their cheapest car. Also the loaner is important. My business partner drops off his Z06 and they give him an enterprise rent a car. I hate THAT!

Guys remember if they want to charge the big bucks then they have to treat us like "BIG BUCKS". You walk into any of the high end dealerships and you always get treated with much more love than most Chevy/Ford/Nissan dealerships. Not everyone applies to this rule, but most.

But I have to admit I like the fact they're trying
Old 03-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #21
Scott McGrath
Registered Member

The Nissan GT-R certification program requires each dealer to train three very specific people in the store to work directly with The GT-R clients: The Dealer or Executive Manager of the dealership will conduct the sales process, the Service Manager will work with the client on the service isle and one "Master Tech" from the dealership will be trained on all facets of the GT-R, and that tech will be the only individual allowed to work on the car. In the event that an appointment is made at a dealership and the GT-R master tech is suddenly sick or out unexpectantly, we have been instructed to contact the regional office and they will send a technician from the regional office to work on the car. Nissan is very serious about how the GT-R customer is handled. It is in both Nissan's and the dealers best interest to make the ownership experience flawless. Service loaners currently are issued through Enterprise Rental Car for most warranty work and I can assure you that based on the price of the vehicle, the last thing Nissan would do is put a GT-R customer in a Versa or Sentra.
Scott McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #22
rabenoja
Registered Member

Thanks for the brief explanation scott. When you say enterprise, I see cheap economy rental...still maybe not best alternative to my GTR. Although I probably don't think that there will be any real alternatives as far as rentals go. Why not just have the customer's pick out a maxima, 350Z, or whatever else they feel like that day. You never know, the customer could like the ride and it could even lead to another nissan sale.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #23
MiamiGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGrath View Post
The Nissan GT-R certification program requires each dealer to train three very specific people in the store to work directly with The GT-R clients: The Dealer or Executive Manager of the dealership will conduct the sales process, the Service Manager will work with the client on the service isle and one "Master Tech" from the dealership will be trained on all facets of the GT-R, and that tech will be the only individual allowed to work on the car. In the event that an appointment is made at a dealership and the GT-R master tech is suddenly sick or out unexpectantly, we have been instructed to contact the regional office and they will send a technician from the regional office to work on the car. Nissan is very serious about how the GT-R customer is handled. It is in both Nissan's and the dealers best interest to make the ownership experience flawless. Service loaners currently are issued through Enterprise Rental Car for most warranty work and I can assure you that based on the price of the vehicle, the last thing Nissan would do is put a GT-R customer in a Versa or Sentra.
I like what I hear. Very smart that Nissan realized that along with a car, comes customer service. I have to admit that's one of the things that I love about BMW. My local dealer from the moment you pull up, it's nothing but 1st class service/loaners. Hopefully my local dealer will follow these guidelines.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #24
ATL-Porsche
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGTR View Post
I like what I hear. Very smart that Nissan realized that along with a car, comes customer service. I have to admit that's one of the things that I love about BMW. My local dealer from the moment you pull up, it's nothing but 1st class service/loaners. Hopefully my local dealer will follow these guidelines.
Likewise, the BMW dealership here (united) has excellent service and they drop you off/pick you up in an X5. Same w/ Land Rover (Hennessey), excellent service, dropped off in an LR3. Hate to be a snob, but like everyone said, we're spending big $ here.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #25
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGrath View Post

Thanks for the info Scott. I was aware of most of that, but a few tidbits were news to me

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote