Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
Need help buying a used GT-R - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
mromar

Default Need help buying a used GT-R

Hello Gents,

I am doing some prep work for the coming month. I am currently in Toronto and have accepted a job down at Dubai internet city. I should be moving down in 3 weeks or so.

My brother who is already there has been tasked with finding me a GT-R which is used, yet in good condition. My major concern is (A) Total Cost - Which will affect my monthly payment (I plan to finance/lease and not buy outright) and (B) The brakes on the car has to be loved for in their past life. The brake job on one of these in Toronto atleast is close to 15% of the car's orignal sale price. So the last thing I want is an abused car where I'm spending whack load of money right after buying it.

So here are my few questions. Feel free to chime in with whichever one you have an input for.

1) How much should be paying in "current market" for a used GT-R (year and color isnt that important for me, preference would be Grey or white)

2) Has the dubai GT-R market/community evolved enough that there is a support system outside of the stealership's to get help around after market brakejobs e.t.c

3) Weather is quite different where I live now. Due to the environmental factors down in your part of the world, Have GT-R over there deveolped a certain failure pattern. What should I be looking for

4) I do plan to keep the car for atleast 2 years. So resale is an important factor for me (Losing least amount for my investment when time comes to sell). Any thing I should consider in my potential new puchase i.e. GCC specs, Colors, Past owners, Country of origin

5) How do you find your GT-R's have suited to Dubai roads. I realize there are alot of traffic/speeding ristrctions down there. Do you ever feel this car is way too restrined in its element. How have your expereince been with suspension frendliness on Dubai roads?

and finally

6) Have any of you leased/finances one of these New or Used. What type of monthly payments do you have (specifics not required, just a range I'm looking for to budget my expenditures once Im down there). How has your maintenance costs been?

Your input is much appreciated

Thanks and Hope to get together for one of your Group thingi's soon in the beautiful Dubai .. EXCITED!!
mromar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
discodan
Registered 911 Terminator

Hi Omar,

Here are some comments to your questions:

1) The current marketplace is set around AEd 240 - 290,000 depending on variant (GCC or US Spec) and miles. Mod's don't seem to be affecting the marketplace on second hand units at the moment.

2) There are two key dealerships and they (in my opinion) are not charging rates anywhere outside of those I see charged for the basic servicing around the world. I'm a little surprised at your comments regarding the brakes.... from what I take you to be saying is that a full replacement of the brakes which would include front and rear rotors, pads, fluids etc is costing 15% of the vehicle. That simply cannot be true - if you look at part prices they do not add up to $12,000 anywhere I've seen.

3) I haven't heard much from anyone on the forum nor through the dealership I go to but a few of the owners here have changed oils and these appear to have yielded better cooling and protection results from engine, trans and diff's.

4) Go with a white one then! White is by far the most popular colour for cars in the GCC. As we'll all be in the same space down the road I'd like to think that the resale values will hold but as Nissan keeps making upgrades to the car every year and a potential R36 is somewhere in pipeline it is impossible to say what will happen. I'm personally worried that the rather high cost of ownership in terms of oil costs etc will work against the R35 in the long term.

5) No comment on the restrictions... You'll see why!

6) I lease mine. 4 years finance 20% down. Not too expensive a month. Maintenance for me so far has been only 2 interval services - 5/10,000 km, an alignment and diff/trans change (ouch!).

Good luck enjoy the UAE!

Daniel

Sold MB SLK55, previous life... R32 Skyline GTR with T78 single turbo conversion, OS Giken head and 720bhp.

Oh no, what have I done.... will I not learn... R35 now with Exhaust and intake!
discodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
mromar

Daniel,

Thanks for a very informative reply post. Does help clear up the picture. The brake job cost does sound like a surprise but is correct based on what I have been hearing/reading ( $15K for a complete rotor/pad replacment form the stealership ). Over here not all of the Nissan dealerships are allowed to work on them and maybe that is why they call the shots on what they want to charge. But if it costs less, I am a happy camper.

Have you had your tires replaced by any chance? I am assuming if Nissan is carrying the same compund (as North America specs), the weather will be causing them to give up sooner.

Also why the trans/diff change?? (Worst thing to assume will be excessive use of LC).

With all the paper work delay, I am about 2 weeks away from landing. Things do move on their own pace down there. As excited I am about my new job, I am actually more excited about the GT-R . So beside googling up a storm of all the For sale GT-R's there - infomration such as this helps me.

Once again, thanks for the input.

Cheers,

Last edited by mromar; 09-07-2010 at 04:52 PM..
mromar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
discodan
Registered 911 Terminator

Hi Omar,

Sorry my info was to brief on the trans/diff - I meant the oil changes for both which I find outrageous.

I'm still running on the Bridgestones however am currently in the middle of sourcing some of the Toyo R888's which given the UAE's annual rainfall days to be less than 15 I'm very keen to be running over here.

The two dealerships that sell the GTR are HPC registered so they are fit to do the brakes.

Good luck with the permits, although if you're Canadian you shouldn't have any issue to come straight away - you can work on the visa's here for 30 days at a time.

Daniel.

Sold MB SLK55, previous life... R32 Skyline GTR with T78 single turbo conversion, OS Giken head and 720bhp.

Oh no, what have I done.... will I not learn... R35 now with Exhaust and intake!
discodan is offline   Reply With Quote