Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
Battery/electrical woes - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Greg S.
Vin#251887

Default Battery/electrical woes

So, this morning, I climb into my 320 mile-old GT-R and the battery is dead.

Haven't driven the car in 4 days, but that shouldn't even be an issue. Didn't leave an iPod plugged in, or the dome lights on. wtf?

I make the call to the dealer, and the Nissan tech comes over, jump starts the car, and we drive it back to the dealership for a look-see.

Battery checks out; just needs a charge. Which is at least a little good news 'cause he doesn't have any GT-R batteries in stock.

But what caused the initial problem?

No one knows.

As my tech says, he's seen so few of these cars, every time he has to do something, doesn't matter how small, he needs to crack open a book or call someone up the food chain for advice.

He said he appreciated my patience. I told him we're in this together.

I think I just made a new friend.

Anyone else have any electical issues?
Greg S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
DarinF
Registered Member

Its possible your battery was not fully charged when you got it.

I'm not a fan of that battery, its not maintenance free

I've already swapped mine with a 10lb lighter Powermaster S680 race battery. Almost double the cranking amps, smaller and lighter. You just cant sit around without the engine on listening to your radio too long since it wont have the capacity of a larger battery.
DarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Greg S.
Vin#251887

I suppose a battery that was undercharged at delivery could be the answer, but I would've thought the driving I'd done had brought the battery up to full.

If it happens again, I suspect it'll be a gremlin hiding somewhere in the system. Damn, I hate electrical issues. They always seem so impossible to track down and solve.
Greg S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
johnseecg

I put my car in storage since December and found the battery went dead in January. I started the car up every 2 weeks for about 20 min to keep the battery charged. Anyway, I jumped it, drove it to the dealer and they said the battery would no longer hold a charge so they replaced the battery. It was fine for 3 more weeks (starting it every week for 20 min) but just last Friday, it was COMPLETELY dead again. I suspect a drain somewhere. I will have to take it into the dealer again.
johnseecg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S. View Post

If it happens again, I suspect it'll be a gremlin hiding somewhere in the system. Damn, I hate electrical issues. They always seem so impossible to track down and solve.
at this case,if it happens again,you should check the alternator first.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
280Z
Registered Member

As previously mentioned, these are not maintenance free batteries. When I took delivery of my GTR I did a quick check and found tire pressure at 51lbs. and the battery below the minimum water level. Easy to fry a battery when giving it a quick charge at such a level. So much for dealer prep. Needless to say I will not be using that dealership for service. I had battery issues with my Shelby and changed out to a Optima. They do not show a model for the GTR but I am sure it is just a matter of time.

Last edited by 280Z; 10-31-2009 at 09:11 AM..
280Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
hartenissaninstalls
nissan gtr tech

first you have to check for a draw anything over 300 ma will take the battery out in about a week. it should have under 140 ma
hartenissaninstalls is offline   Reply With Quote