Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
How does the GT-R handle the snow? - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
mikesterc

Default How does the GT-R handle the snow?

Hello all...I might purchase a GT-R as a daily commute vehicle...it's roughly an 18 mile drive, with the usual sorts of hazards...(long idling, potholes the size of a large child, snow laiden roads, etc)...I've researched the web and have heard some horror stories about tire/alignment & tranny issues...I REALLY would appreciate insight how the car handles in the snow as I would love it to be my fall/winter car....
mikesterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

You'll be fine as a DD, but deep snow would be a major problem, as the front airdam is so low to the ground it would be a snowplow. Otherwise, you're fine.

For winter driving in your climate, you must either:
1) get the "Cold Weather" package (a zero cost option that gives you all-season tires and a different coolant mixture) or
2) get a 2nd set of tires for winter use, as the summer-only tires are brittle and glass-like in cold weather (mid-30s and below), even on clean dry roads.

And if you have two sets of tires (summer and winter), you'll probably wnat two sets of wheels. I have my OEM summer-only Bridgestone tires mounted on BBS LM-DBK rims, and have Blizzaks mounted on the OEM wheels for Dec through mid-March in the Chicago winters.

I still don't run the car in deep snow (as a have an old WRX for the messiest winter days), but the GT-R was better than good the the few times I had it on thin packed snow. The 4-wheel drive (with computer-distributed torque) is awesome, even when I ran it on a road course in heavy rain, with standing (and running!) water in some of the corners.

Oh, and be prepared for a rough ride on rough roads. Even with the suspension in "comfort" setting, it rides like a NYC subway car. lol.

If the GT-R will be your winter car, what is your summer ride?
Previous toys:
'81 DeLorean ('81-2005), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-'80)
CajunGodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Personally,...

Even in heavy rain... that traction control is slower than your punch full throttle. gradually throttle is important for safety driving.

We have few out control/traction caseS even in straight line. spin/drift/total lost...

overall, R35 is very safe when you drive safely~ my best.
Just don't use R mode in rain/snow condition if you're not familiar with it.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
MyNissanGTR

I have driven it in about 2 inches of snow on the road and it handles fairly well with the winter tires on.
However, if there is more than about 4 inches of snow, then you have yourself a $75,000 480 horsepower snow plow.
MyNissanGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
NJNYCGTR
Registered Member

I drove my gtr in the snow once this winter with the winter package. It drove well as long as I wasn't being dumb. I hit the throttle a few times in an empty parking lot to get a feel of when the traction control would kick in and how much it would help me out if i got out of line. It seemed fine and I live half way up a decent inclined hill and didnt get stuck turning into our poorly plowed side street.

Now, once the snow gets over 2 inches, your car not only becomes a plow (as MyNissanGTR mentioned), but a battering ram for ice/road debris/road chunks so I would invest in a clear bra of some sort. I am lucky i have another car to drive in the snow and was just testing the car out to see how well the awd worked.

If I had to do it over again and it was going to be my DD, I would have bought myself the summer package and a second set of winter tires. Once again this is ideal, meaning you have the money for a second set of tires and rims and tpms (need to reprogram when you change tires I believe, but correct me if I am mistaken please) and the space to store the tires. My best friend and his father do this every year and have got it down to less than an hour per car while not rushing.

Good luck with you purchasing of the GTR, it is a great ride and a fun drive.
NJNYCGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

^Yes, as noted above, its best to get a second set of winter tires and wheels, along with a second set of TPMS's; and yes, the TPMS must be "re-learned" each time your switch tires, which unfortunately means a trip to the dealer, as only the certified GT-R technician and his special equipment can do this. (Seems nuts; but that's how it is.) Regarding storing the spare rims/tires in the off-season, I negotiated a special deal with the aftermarket tuner business who got me my extra rims and tires. He simply stores the rims/tires/lugnuts in his shop when I'm not using them. So its a simple task of driving to his shop twice a year for the switch. (But then I need to also go to the dealer for the TPMS re-learn.)
Previous toys:
'81 DeLorean ('81-2005), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-'80)
Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
mikesterc

Default thanks Cajuin for the response...

I'm doing background work about the GT-R as a daily commute vehicle...it's an 18 mile commute from my NJ home, through the Lincoln Tunnel to my monthly parking spot in Midtown Manhattan...I appreciate the blog informing me about the car being an 'expensive snow plow' with deep snow...To answer you question...I own 3 toys...a '04 BMW X5 4.8is (which will be trade bait)...a '01 Viper (a summer car) as well as a '95 Mitsu 3000 VR-4 Spyder Hardtop Convertable...(my favorite toy...from what I have learned only 500 have ever been produced)...so my vision is to replace the X5 with the GT-R...does that make sense?

Michael
Old 04-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
NJNYCGTR
Registered Member

if u also use the x5 for its capacity to haul items, I would say no.

Imagine taking the VR4 out in the snow with snow tires (my friends father did it for years, no problem with snow tires). If that doesnt cause you to cringe then go for it because the GTR clearance wise will be the same when driving in the snow.

As i mentioned earlier, if its a dd and will be in snow grater than 2-3" clear bra the car so it has some extra protection. There maybe other solutions out their vs the clear bra, but I am unaware of any atm.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

It should be fine as a winter DD 95% of the time. For the worst 5% (deep snow), can you simply work from home? Or perhaps get a cheap old AWD, e.g. any Subaru or similar?
Previous toys:
Old 04-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
mikesterc

Default thanks for the insight...

I appreciate all the input about using the GTR as a daily driver...and being new to the forum I have an unenlightened question...I'm in the market for a used GTR....and reading through the ebay listings, there has been mention of being able to have a service/tech report on how the car has been driven. Is this a correct assumption?...Also, I've read of the phrase 'launch'...I assume it's when you remove all the techo stuff to allow the car to become a beast...once again, I truly appreciate any insight....

Michael
Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
NJNYCGTR
Registered Member

The tech at a certified GTR delership is able to retrieve certain information from the GTR's computer.

When people refer to "launch" or LC1 or LC2 it is when they press the brake to the floor and then step on the accelerator. This actions allows the car to build up RPMs, in LC1 it goes to 4k+ and in LC2 it goes to round 2800-3000 RPMS. Once you reach the max RPM based on which launch control you have you lift off the brake and the GTR launched forward with the force of a freight train with LC1 being more aggressive than LC2 due to the higher RPM before launch. LC1 was on the original/early production GTR's in 2009 (Later 2009 models came with LC2 due to transmission failures from people repeatedly launching the car).

Hopefully this helped to answer your question.

Oh LC1 launches in the GTR may void warranty if the car breaks due to the launching whereas LC2 is within the warranty coverage I believe. My car was changed to LC2 which I wish was kept at LC1 (basically I'd rather have LC1 and not use it then not have it at all, I believe Cobb Tuning is working on a fix to revert back to LC1).