Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
strange "crunchy noises " from front end - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
jh_gtr
Registered Member

Default strange "crunchy noises " from front end

It started as a "clicking sound" when I turned the wheel almost to full lock at slow speed ( ie in parking lot ) It has gotten worse- now a definite loud "crunching' noise on hard turning at very low speed.
any ideas? I took the wheel off and see no interferences ,,etc.

jh
jh_gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
totsubo
Registered Member

Probably the brake pads issue.

Check the pads to see if they are shaking.
totsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
NJNYCGTR
Registered Member

This is courtesy of "Yellow Stealth: from NAGTROC.org:

"It's officially called the "Tight Corner Braking Phenomenon" and is described in section 5-35 of your owners manual.

Take a look at http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...Nissan-GTR.pdf

TIGHT CORNER BRAKING PHENOMENON

When driving on dry pavement in AWD mode, or immediately after starting the engine in cold conditions, when the steering wheel is turned all the way, the vehicle may behave as if the brakes had been applied. This phenomenon is known as the “tight corner braking phenomenon”. This phenomenon is unique to AWD vehicles, and occurs due to a difference in speeds between the front and rear wheels while the vehicle is turning. This does not indicate that there is a malfunction. If this phenomenon occurs, more force will be required to operate the steering wheel.
NOTE:

. If the tight corner braking phenomenon occurs, a slipping sound may be heard from the tires, or a squeaking sound may be heard from the drive system. . If excessive operation continues when a wheel has come off the road or at other times when the operation causes a large difference in speed between the front and rear wheels (the wheels are spinning), the oil temperature in the drive system parts will increase. In this case, to protect the drive system parts, the AWD warning light blinks rapidly and the system switches to RWD mode or low AWD mode. Keep the vehicle stopped and idling for a short time. When the warning light stops blinking, the vehicle returns from RWD mode to normal driving mode.

If you feel an unusual vibration in the vehicle, even if the warning lights are not illuminated, have the vehicle inspected by a GT-R certified NISSAN dealer."

I think that the clicking sound may be from the calipers themselves as I read in someone elses post that the pads all have 1 clip covering the top of the brake and not the bottom and that getting Nissan to get the second helps to reduce the clicking sound. That may or may not be your issue, but definitely check with your gtr service mechanic.

Totsubo - the brake pad issue, doesn't that just happen when the brakes get stuck to the rotors and then you hear a "clunk" as the break pads break free from the rotors? After that there shouldnt be anymore clicking from the break pads right? Just wondering if there is another brake pad issue I was not aware of, thanks.
NJNYCGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
stevesgrtr35
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_gtr View Post
It started as a "clicking sound" when I turned the wheel almost to full lock at slow speed ( ie in parking lot ) It has gotten worse- now a definite loud "crunching' noise on hard turning at very low speed.
any ideas? I took the wheel off and see no interferences ,,etc.

jh
I had the same problems as youi say, clicking from the front wheels that actually got worse. I took it into nissan and they took the front wheels of and sand papered lightly the inside of the wheels and the where the wheel joins to the wheel hub of the car(around the bolts). It fixed it, hope this helps.
stevesgrtr35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

http://www.nissangtrclub.com/showthread.php?t=2758

We fix by put a light layer of 1000c grease on the wheel joins to the wheel hub (metal clicking sound), and brake caliper piston / pad's contact point in the same time too (rattle sound).
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
jh_gtr
Registered Member

Default clicking and crunching noise

My dealer also sanded the wheel?hub interface and the noise went away for a while but it has returned just a little bit after 1000 miles. He specifically said NOT to apply grease.
jh
Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

wipe off the grease just left a thin layer to anti-rust/sound.^^
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
flagtrdave

If cleaning the wheel and hub (no sandpaper please) only offers very temporary relief, order 2 brake pad retaining springs. During assembly Nissan only installed these springs on the lower caliper tie rods. Installing a second set onto the upper caliper tie rods will eliminate the ticking sound at low speed when turning.
flagtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
dtbk

Hi, my late 08 GTR just developed the same strong clicking sound like in the Youtube video when the steering is moved both left or right. Even at slow speeds. It seems to come from the central or upper part of the column. The bad news is that the authorized workshop ( TWM Warranty) in Singapore has gone bust last month and most likely we have no recourse. Any further updates on what might the issue be other than the loose bolt issue from the video. Can I do a DIY if it is the bolt issue?? DTBK
dtbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
jh_gtr
Registered Member

Default curing the clicking noise

i completely got rid of the noise by putting a very thin layer of anti-seize compound on the wheel where it touches the hub- no more problems!

jh
Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
dove45

I have no idea to clean wheel properly. jh_gtr, Thanks to giving me suggestion and helping here.. Hope this post will found helpful for us as well..
dove45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Mosdban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_gtr View Post
i completely got rid of the noise by putting a very thin layer of anti-seize compound on the wheel where it touches the hub- no more problems!

jh
Great work man. i will try my luck now
Mosdban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
Mosdban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosdban View Post
Great work car parts man. i will try my luck now
It worked fine
Mosdban is offline   Reply With Quote