Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
You can import an US model to Canada - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
trompazo

Default You can import an US model to Canada

According to the lastest RIV, the 2009 GTR is admissable without mods.

I will be looking for one in the US. I don't really care about warranty since it will be modded anyways.
trompazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Vuk@AMS
NGTRC Sponsor

We'll likely see more people go this route as the GTR's in Canada will be hard to come by. We spoke with Alta regarding acquiring one last year and two months ago. They said their allocation was spoken for before even getting a confirmation on volume. They wouldn't take a deposit which was strange - how can the inventory then be spoken for. We know one of the sales manager's and I won't repeat what we were told.

Good info!

Vuk@AMS
www.amszstore.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompazo View Post
According to the lastest RIV, the 2009 GTR is admissable without mods.

I will be looking for one in the US. I don't really care about warranty since it will be modded anyways.
Vuk@AMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Ev0H8t3r
GOTZIRA

I know a dealer with a few left US spec...if you want the info I will be taking a refferal fee Im serious!
Gotzira
-Kaizen Tuning LLC (978) 266-9900
Sales@Kaizentuning.com
-Kaizen Tuning LLC
www.kaizentuning.com
Ev0H8t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
turbodream

Does someone know for sure that you can import one from the US? I'm aware of the new RIV importation list, but if it dindn't change dealer can't sell a car with less than 1 year old for exportation. This was done not a year ago to protect marcket of new car and stop CAnadian to buy them on the other side.
turbodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
trompazo

I think what you are saying is that dealers in the US can't sell to Canadians. Although that may be true, there are tonned of brand new GTRs on Ebay being sold by private indivuduals, which of course can sell to whoever they want.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
GTRForLife
Registered Member

I know a few canadian companies which have imported new GTRs for sale from US dealers though, how is this possible??
GTRForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
trompazo

How is what possible? The car is legal to import.

If you find someone willnig to sell one to you (dealer or private individual), you can import it. It's pretty simple.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
GTRForLife
Registered Member

But I thought they couldn't do it if the GTR was less than a year old, at least, according to one of the previous posts. What happens to the warranty for these imports? I know that no mods are needed, but is it a lot of hassel to do the paperwork and stuff?? I don't know much about the importation process....
GTRForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
trompazo

Nissan USA "might" gave told the US dealers that they can't sell to Canada. If so, it is unknown whether all US dealers will abide to that rule.

If that is the case, just buy from from a private individual. There are many "new" GTRs being flipped by individuals. What difference does it make if you buy from a dealer or not?

As far as I know, they won't honor the warranty in Canada. The way I see it, the only reason to buy from a Canadian dealer is if you want warranty or you want to lease it. Thats an expensive warranty, at least in Alberta where the dealers want $119,000.

The paperwork is simple. Just a few things you have to get faxed and a simple 10 minute inspection at Canadian Tire.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
TravisFlatbar

So crossing an imaginary line voids warranty.......lol......
TravisFlatbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
williamspaul

Default RE: Importing to Canada

I'm considering importing from the US. It seems many US dealers are offering new GT-R's at MSRP or lower. Does anyone know how the import/duty fees are calculated?

Say I purchased a US GT-R for 75k USD, that's about 92k CDN dollars - what am I looking at on top of that? I'm in ontario, so would I add GST/PST on top?

Thanks for any help.
williamspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
Vuk@AMS
NGTRC Sponsor

Both those taxes plus the Duty of around 6% for a Japanese vehicle! Also some additional registration fees, safety, emissions...

Good place to start:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

http://www.importcartocanada.info/

Alot of info but really a straight forward process to do it yourself. We imported our shop 996 Turbo from Miami when the exchange was favourable.

Prices are coming down so your best bet is to wait a bit and pull the trigger locally as the gouging has halted in the US and it will trickle down in Canada as the economy slows.

Hope this helps!

Vuk@AMS
www.amszstore.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamspaul View Post
I'm considering importing from the US. It seems many US dealers are offering new GT-R's at MSRP or lower. Does anyone know how the import/duty fees are calculated?

Say I purchased a US GT-R for 75k USD, that's about 92k CDN dollars - what am I looking at on top of that? I'm in ontario, so would I add GST/PST on top?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #13
williamspaul

Thanks for the info Vuk. With our crappy exchange rate right now, I think I will wait until summer and look for a local deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuk@AMS View Post
Both those taxes plus the Duty of around 6% for a Japanese vehicle! Also some additional registration fees, safety, emissions...

Good place to start:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

http://www.importcartocanada.info/

Alot of info but really a straight forward process to do it yourself. We imported our shop 996 Turbo from Miami when the exchange was favourable.

Prices are coming down so your best bet is to wait a bit and pull the trigger locally as the gouging has halted in the US and it will trickle down in Canada as the economy slows.

Hope this helps!

Vuk@AMS
www.amszstore.com
For Sale: 2000 ML430 (dark blue) $12k - msg me for info
Sold: 2005 Altima SE-R (code red)
williamspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
mace105

concerning the warranty issue, i read in another thread a letter from nissan north america that says that the warranty is valid in canada if the car was first registered in the u.s. for a minimum of 6 months. so if you buy a used gtr, the warranty would be valid. but if you buy a brand new one, the warranty is void.
mace105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
mace105

here is the letter:

How-To Threads: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Freebs, I got another reply from Nissan USA that should help clearify this for everyone. So warranty is still good! based on 2 conditions. Enjoy.

-------------------------------------

February 15, 2010

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. regarding warranty coverage for
your 2009 GT-R.

Per the terms stated in your Nissan Warranty Information Booklet, when a Nissan
Division vehicle is purchased in the United States and then exported to Canada,
warranty coverage continues only if the following conditions are met:

a) the vehicle is first registered in the U.S.; and
b) transfer of ownership and registration outside the U.S. do not BOTH occur within
6 months of being first registered in the U.S.

File number #6729900 has been created to document this concern. If you have any
further questions or comments, please feel free to call Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1
800 647 7261. Reference your file number when you call.

Thank you again for contacting us and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Nissan North America, Inc.

Vanessa Fiorello
Consumer Relations Representative
Nissan Consumer Affairs
mace105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
GO ON 3
Registered Member

Imported my 2010 Evo X into canada,, saved alot of money this way! but it did Void warrenty!! Not sure on Nissan tho, all companys are diffrent!

this is all you need to know, for the spending part:
http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...ce-calculator/

Evos here in Canada were 60k at the time I was buying. I bought mine brand new from PA. USA for 33k then after importing it came to 43k im my driveway and ready to go.. then spent the extra on modding

Im also thinking of buying a GTR and doing the same, but the GTR prob wont be brand new as I dont have that cash
GO ON 3 is offline   Reply With Quote