SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
el negrette

Default Best performance "package" upgrade?

Say right now you had 10k in the bank and it was going to your GT-R. What would you do? I have seen the HKS 600 deal but then i have seen the problems that go along with it. Then i have seen VIVID racing VR-700 kit. This kit is a lil cheaper, BUT are you getting what you pay for in this kit??? So really i guess the question is what is the BEST install and forget about it kit you can buy at this moment. I know you will always have little issues but you know what im saying. Thanks guys.

p.s. do not own a GT-R yet... but hey im in afghanistan so... you know.. just doing my home work its a toss up between 997 turbo or the GT-R... and the GT-R is looking REAL good..
el negrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Guru
Registered Member

Well best bang for the buck and what I have personally is full turboback exhaust and an Accessport with the new stage 2 beta map. Runs great pretty quick and around $4000 total. I would recommend AAM for the parts. They have fantastic service and are great to work with. To go beyond that you don't get much value in terms of HP per dollar until you do turbo upgrades which obviously get expensive. I'd say maybe IC upgrade with the above mods and call it a day but not sure how much you'll get in terms of HP gains. Will help with maintaining charge temps consistent though. That should net you a high 10 sec quarter mile time. To get low 10's turbo upgrade as well as transmission upgrades are required (not to mention fuel system). This is what I'm doing next month.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
supreme

Can you guys here help me choose between HKS 570 kit and a full turboback exhaust with cobb stage 2
Which one do you prefer
supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
ATLsupra
NGTRC Sponsor

GT570 Kit is pretty much a full exhaust system minus the catback exhaust with boost controller, aluminum intercooler pipings, upgraded actuators, and spark plugs. With that said, you can install HKS EVC6/COBB AP, downpipe, midpipe, AAM actuators, and intercooler pipings, and that will pretty much put you the same level as GT570 kit if not better. Guaranteed that HKS will provide a nicer workmanship and fitting with their R&D.

Chinchi
SpeedForSale.com Parts Manager
Telephone: 770-777-4774
---
ATLsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Guru
Registered Member

Turboback exhaust and AP will net best gains and is much cheaper than the HKS package. No contest IMO.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
supreme

From my understanding HKS EVC6(in 570 kit) and COBB AP are pre-tuned my question is which pretune program is better
because i am living in thailand which there are not tuner for gt-r yet, so i am finding a pretuned one which one should it be

Last edited by supreme; 12-07-2009 at 02:12 PM..
supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Guru
Registered Member

HKS EVC is just a boost controller. Nothing else. The AP actually changes all the mapping in the ECU including boost, fuel, and timing curves.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

If you want to be able to run over 14-15psi at high RPM without the stock fuel injectors running a static 100%+ duty cycle (and thus causing misfires,) then you will want 800cc fuel injectors, along with heavy duty wastegate actuators to hold the boost at high RPM. The AccessPORT only has one fixed boost setting (unless you have multiple maps, shut off the car, upload the new map, and then go again,) but the HKS EVC6 is great for being able to adjust boost on the fly (high/low boost and everything in between.)

So, the turboback exhaust and AccessPORT is okay for a basic upgrade, but if you want a lot more horsepower at 5500+ RPM you'll want the injectors/actuators/boost controller/air intakes.

For more information, please refer to our 'Staged Power Upgrades' list, which gives a nice and proven upgrade path to follow:
https://www.speedforsale.com/nissang...uvd82k1pm39t21

Please send me an email, PM, or telephone call if you have any technical questions or need any parts. Thank you!

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
Emilio

Hennessey has GTR600 upgrade package that produces 642 hp and 622 lb-ft Torque. I cant believe it because they just change the midpipe instead of the full exhaust and they do inlet piping upgrade with BOV and intercooler piping upgrade + some engine management computer programmer(i assume it is COBB AP)
Is that possible to achieve those results? Or is it because they use race gas to achieve that power? If they would use 93 pump gas what would be the output? Any ideas?

Thanks
Emilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Guru
Registered Member

Is that at the wheels? I have not seen any GTR with stock turbos make 600 WHP on pump gas. I have stock injectors and AF stays flat all the way to redline. You can't really hit more than 14-15 PSI at redline anyway so stock injectors are fine until you upgrade turbos. IC's don't really help up top with stock turbos as they are maxed out anyway so I doubt you'd max out injectors even with IC upgrade. From what I understand they do help with midrange torque.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
Is that at the wheels? I have not seen any GTR with stock turbos make 600 WHP on pump gas. I have stock injectors and AF stays flat all the way to redline. You can't really hit more than 14-15 PSI at redline anyway so stock injectors are fine until you upgrade turbos. IC's don't really help up top with stock turbos as they are maxed out anyway so I doubt you'd max out injectors even with IC upgrade. From what I understand they do help with midrange torque.
The Hennessey numbers are rated at the crankshaft. But, testing was done at the wheels. I wish shops would like what dyno model they used for the test, test conditions, and what driveline loss percentage they factored in.

Concerning not being able to run more than 14psi at redline on stock turbos, yes you can easiliy do this if you use heavy duty wastegate actuators. As I mentioned previously, you'll also want 800cc fuel injectors or HKS GT600 upgrade kit type B (dual fuel pumps and adjustable fuel pressure regulator) and a custom tune since the stock fuel injectors go static above 14-15psi. This will allow the stock turbos to push 17psi all the way to redline, giving very nice peak horsepower gains! Again, check our Staged Power Upgrades list that I linked to in my last post for more information on this.

Jeremy Blackwell

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
Guru
Registered Member

I have seen many boost charts with guys running actuators and none have gotten more than 15 PSI at redline that I have seen and that is at sea level. At higher elevations it is even lower.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Quote:
I have seen many boost charts with guys running actuators and none have gotten more than 15 PSI at redline that I have seen and that is at sea level. At higher elevations it is even lower.
Then they must be running a different brand than we run or have the actuators set up wrong (not bench testing the puck crack pressure before installing,) or similar. We sell the AAM actuators, which are the same as the HKS GT570 actuators. With the adjustment rod set all the way out to minimum boost pressure (12psi), I have tuned many EVC EZ writers with the AAM actuators we sell and have no problem hitting 17psi at redline. So, if you go with our set up, running 17psi at redline on stock turbos is not a problem if you have the AAM actuators and 800cc injectors.

Jeremy Blackwell

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
Guru
Registered Member

I'm very skeptical. Do you have any dyno charts with the boost on it to show this?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Quote:
I'm very skeptical. Do you have any dyno charts with the boost on it to show this?
Our company strives to be very reputable and honest, thus I would not tell you this if it was not true. Maybe this will help you earn trust in us, as we would love to earn your business as a customer

Here is an initial EVC tune a client sent me that they had tuned wrong (boosting 20+ psi at redline with stock turbos ), and we helped lower the boost down to 17psi and smooth out the curve. The GT-R that made this EVC log had stock turbos with our Stage 5 Power Package, as noted on our 'Staged Power Upgrades' page. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails (CLICK TO ENLARGE!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overboost1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2631  

Jeremy Blackwell

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Guru
Registered Member

Very interesting. I was under the impression it would always tapper so I had my Forge WG's sitting on my desk for the longest time. My car is getting torn down next month anyway so was just gonna install with the new turbos with their 19 PSI spring. AAM is handling the turbo and intake stuff. Transmission is being done here by my own trans guy whom I trust. From what I understand, they really aren't that complicated gearwise. Can't wait to be able to use LC1 without worrying about breaking 1st gear. AAM guys have been nothing short of fantastic in helping me meet my needs!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #17
patrol2008

I want to install an upgrade turbo on my GTR in UAE

can you advise me what is the better and the safer installation in the market :

HKS 570 = 570 hp
or
HKS 600 = 600 hp
or
AMS Nissan GT-R Bolt on Turbo Upgrade = 610 hp to 850 hp

(On our chassis dyno with just an AMS Turbo-Back Exhaust, boost controller, upgraded injectors and a tune we were able to take our stock GT-R safely from 434 all wheel horsepower all the way up to 610! Torque was also bumped from the stock level of 406 to a massive 581 ft lbs measured at the wheels!!! Most impressive of all, this was done on JUST 22psi and 93 OCTANE PUMP GAS! , At full boost with race gas these turbos are capable of up to 850 horsepower! )

or
Greddy TRUST TD06SH-20G Twin Turbo Kit = up to 800hp
or
Boost Logic BL640 Package = 640hp with octane 93 and 690hp with racing gas
or
vivid racing VR700 hp = 700 hp

i am not thinking to buy switzer or Hennessey turbo because they are so expensive.

For the price excluding transportation fees:

Boost Logic BL640 Package (640hp to 690hp)= 6000$
HKS GT570 Premium Package (570 hp)= 7775 $
HKS GT600 Racing Package (600 hp)= 8800 $
AMS Turbo Upgrade (610 hp to 850 hp)= 6000 $
Greddy TRUST TD06SH-20G Twin Turbo Kit(834hp)=9800$
vivid racing VR700 hp (700hp) = 6300$

So wich the best solution to increase the power and the speed of my GTR r35 like switzer p800 safely (from 480hp to 800 hp !!!)

Great thanks for a great help

Last edited by patrol2008; 12-15-2009 at 07:38 AM..
patrol2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
Guru
Registered Member

22 PSI on pump gas with stock turbos? Wow I didn't know anyone was attempting suck high boost levels with stock turbos. Mine hits maybe 18 PSi briefly even in this cold weather.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Eugene@SPE
Registered Member

22 psi on pump gas with stock turbos would be too much hot air for sure and you will definitely lose power towards redline.
Eugene@SPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Eugene@SPE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol2008 View Post
I want to install an upgrade turbo on my GTR in UAE

can you advise me what is the better and the safer installation in the market :

HKS 570 = 570 hp
or
HKS 600 = 600 hp
or
AMS Nissan GT-R Bolt on Turbo Upgrade = 610 hp to 850 hp

(On our chassis dyno with just an AMS Turbo-Back Exhaust, boost controller, upgraded injectors and a tune we were able to take our stock GT-R safely from 434 all wheel horsepower all the way up to 610! Torque was also bumped from the stock level of 406 to a massive 581 ft lbs measured at the wheels!!! Most impressive of all, this was done on JUST 22psi and 93 OCTANE PUMP GAS! , At full boost with race gas these turbos are capable of up to 850 horsepower! )

or
Greddy TRUST TD06SH-20G Twin Turbo Kit = up to 800hp
or
Boost Logic BL640 Package = 640hp with octane 93 and 690hp with racing gas
or
vivid racing VR700 hp = 700 hp

i am not thinking to buy switzer or Hennessey turbo because they are so expensive.

For the price excluding transportation fees:

Boost Logic BL640 Package (640hp to 690hp)= 6000$
HKS GT570 Premium Package (570 hp)= 7775 $
HKS GT600 Racing Package (600 hp)= 8800 $
AMS Turbo Upgrade (610 hp to 850 hp)= 6000 $
Greddy TRUST TD06SH-20G Twin Turbo Kit(834hp)=9800$
vivid racing VR700 hp (700hp) = 6300$

So wich the best solution to increase the power and the speed of my GTR r35 like switzer p800 safely (from 480hp to 800 hp !!!)

Great thanks for a great help
You may also want to consider looking into our stage 1 SPE750 system.

Please visit:

http://www.sp-power.com/2009/11/niss...urbo-packages/

Also:

http://www.sp-power.com/2009/11/spe7...grade-install/

Eugene @ SPE
Eugene@SPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #21
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

I've seen multiple shops running AccessTUNER set ups on clients' tunes that hit 19-22psi on 93 octane and say they have no knock. Certain air/fuel and ignition timing advance curves can easily allow the car to run more boost pressure than usual, but the power it makes on a GT-R that has cold engine temps (with less chance of knock) is not the same number it will make on lap 5 at a road course. You can plot various boost levels at various RPM increments for the stock turbos on the GT-R, and anything over 18psi on the stock twins is blowing hot/unefficient air, just as Eugene said.

If you want horsepower that is REPEATABLE when the car is heat soaked, then start with the compressor map for the stock IHI turbos and see what efficiency/boost/turbo RPM combination you are comfortable with up to the stock engine RPM redline, and then base the ECU tune on that

Jeremy Blackwell

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 AM   #22
patrol2008

Sorry

but if i compare the SPE750 TURBO UPGRADE 750HP+ with the Switzer P800 (800 hp)

the switzer P800 seems more powerfull with same price

Switzer P800 = 18490 $
SPE750 TURBO UPGRADE 750HP (stage 1) = 18500 $

wich one is better

what about "STAGE 2 SPE900 TURBO UPGRADE 900HP+" how much it cost ??? , is it safe on engine 900HP !!!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #23
patrol2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBlackwell View Post
I've seen multiple shops running AccessTUNER set ups on clients' tunes that hit 19-22psi on 93 octane and say they have no knock. Certain air/fuel and ignition timing advance curves can easily allow the car to run more boost pressure than usual, but the power it makes on a GT-R that has cold engine temps (with less chance of knock) is not the same number it will make on lap 5 at a road course. You can plot various boost levels at various RPM increments for the stock turbos on the GT-R, and anything over 18psi on the stock twins is blowing hot/unefficient air, just as Eugene said.

If you want horsepower that is REPEATABLE when the car is heat soaked, then start with the compressor map for the stock IHI turbos and see what efficiency/boost/turbo RPM combination you are comfortable with up to the stock engine RPM redline, and then base the ECU tune on that

thanks a lot , have you any idea about how much pressure The Switzer P800 Hit , do you advise me to buy the P800 Switzer Turbo kit http://gt-rr.com/gt-r/r35/switzer_pe...ackage/pid/736

Last edited by patrol2008; 12-16-2009 at 06:23 AM..
Old 12-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #24
nasser

So Guys i am gonna buy a kit really soon like next week i am from Uae/Dubai so Switzer P800 Or STAGE 2 SPE900 TURBO UPGRADE 900HP Hmmmm :S
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:00 AM   #25
Guru
Registered Member

Switzer kits are SOOO overpriced. I would suggest getting ahold of AAM and talking to them about your power goals.