SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
babibengkak
Registered Member

Default Alternative transmission oil?

Hi guys,

need help on this. Are there other transmission oil that is commercially available that we could use for the GTR?

Thanks!
babibengkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
AlbertaGTRtechnician

you should really stick to the original fluid recommended
engineers spent so much time on the fluid choice

its recommend when you go for your optimization service
to make sure you get the fluid heat range charts that is the best way to
tell when to change your fluid
talk to your technician
AlbertaGTRtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
GTRXLR8
Registered Member

Alberta I have to say this is just Bull@#%$ I am sure if Nissan was so inclined to tell us the source of the oil used we would find it is being used by other cars at a fraction of the cost! Nissan has just decided to say bend over! The Spec V is just another example of this way of thinking on Nissans part,come on they could come up with nothing more then $20,000 seats to get the price up to $170,000? The tran oil is big joke and i believe there is some law in the USA that says if a company makes you use a certain product to maintain warrantey it must be provided free.
If anyone out there knows the specifics of this law let me know please it might be a good issue to press.
GTRXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
AlbertaGTRtechnician

honestly they hide it from us too
i asked already during my training
they mask all the fluid with "GTR" stamps
if you really want the the fluids to a chem lab and break it down
to every little bit (paying the research lab thousands of dollars)
to find out exactly what it is and then go search out the fluids your self
it honestly will make it alot harder, just wait eventually a company will find a way, its been like this for years nissans matic k, j and cvt fluid
finally boss lubricant offer us a all in one fluid for the vehicles now
but just wait it out really something will come up
companys spend millions of dollars trying to find out alternative
but for now the gtr fluid will do
AlbertaGTRtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
GTRXLR8
Registered Member

I doubt Nissan spent any real money on the "design" of this order besides the GTR label. As i said I am sure this same oil is being sold by others under another name. Kinda like the marine industry, they sell a $2 part used in cars for $10 saying it is marine tested which in most cases is bull. I know the manufacture of the oil as it is listed in Nissan repair manual you mechanics get. If I lived in Japan i would just go to the company and find out what it is!
Bottom line I love the car just do not like Nissan at this point. In fact i was all set to buy a car for my daughter and have decided against buying a Nissan because of how they have handled the whole GTR parts cost and warrenty issues! If Nissan is listening this should be scaring you as it is the exact opposite result you wanted!
GTRXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by babibengkak View Post
Hi guys,

need help on this. Are there other transmission oil that is commercially available that we could use for the GTR?

Thanks!
I guess it's nearly double price at Thailand than US,if so, you can order from Speed for Sale for a "better" price.
If you change the oil few times,it cost you a new eco car!
Ok,personally i think that new Ferrari,Posche,Lambo,Audi?,VolksWagen...had the "same" system.And we need to check out thier price...
Nissan's machanic will tell you or scare you for others oil you change...
Yes! i'm so scared for the high price tag tranny so i shall listen to them use the Factory GTR fluid
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Oops!Babibengkak,you are from Indonesia...sorry
Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
babibengkak
Registered Member

Hi again guys.

So, Pentosin, Willall or Nissan transmission oil? Any suggestion?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

1. OEM
2. Willall
3. Pentosin
4. others
Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
babibengkak
Registered Member

Norman, the problem that you had with the uneven gears was caused by some small debris in the oil right? How did that get in? or is it metal parts from the transmission itself? or did the debris came in whilst doing the oil change?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
mindlessoath
Registered Member

Babi... Contact south side performance to get some transmission fixes.

Willall will be the best fluid for stock and modified. However In stock form ffl-4 and nissan oem fluid will work.

Regardless which one you choose you have to change based on temps.

The r35 oem fluid is atf with additive package and nissan knows that so that's why you have to change the fluid out more often than most cars. LC and heavy driving make heat and that's why you can't rely heavy on changing based on mileage alone.

Nissan didn't spend any time on developing a fluid or it would have been more like the willall fluid which does a lot to protect the soft metals and the heat.

If trying a new fluid it must be compatible with both the trans and the clutchs and specific specs of each. An insufeciant fluid might burn a clutch or let the gears break down more (etc etc etc).

I would say ffl-4 is very similar to the stock fluid but there is not enough data that says its a match yet. The r35 is far superior than the cars it was manufactured for.
Latest post: on February 25, 2010, 8:10 pm
Submit Stories, News, Images, Events, etc... by email
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Yes,the new rough gears was produce some small debris in the oil and it stuck the solenoid,i guess.

it's metal parts of gears.(before this,i haven't change transmission oil yet)
still run-in ,and i treat the car like a baby,but it treats me like that.

that's why i advice everyone change the first trans oil at about 1800miles or less.

btw,i put OEM in first place cause don't want to confuse any other members still having thier warranty.

QUOTE=babibengkak;15215]Norman, the problem that you had with the uneven gears was caused by some small debris in the oil right? How did that get in? or is it metal parts from the transmission itself? or did the debris came in whilst doing the oil change?[/quote]

Last edited by Norman; 04-27-2009 at 10:30 AM..