SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Bajaboy
Registered Member

Default Repainting Super Silver?

OK, so I'm driving along, minding my own business, and a 2lb jagged chunk of metal comes flying from the oncoming lane and hits the door of my GTR! I get the feeling it's going to be significant damage, but I'm praying that maybe it hit some part or the car that didn't leave a mark...no luck. It left a nice 5" gouge right under the side view mirror. Has anyone with a Super Silver GTR had to get any body damage repaired? I seem to remember hearing that repairing Super Silver was more difficult than the other colors. Has anyone had an outside high-end body shop fix their car? I'm in the Los Angeles area, in case someone has a direct referral. I'd really love to hear from anyone with ANY input on this, as I'm planning to take it to the dealer on Friday afternoon unless someone has some better idea. Thanks in advance!
Bajaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
houstonT
Registered Member

I hate to break it to you...but you're shit outta luck. SS is a 4-stage paint that includes base coat, clear, metallic, clear and then some sort of scratch resistant clear. The only other color that comes close is a pearl white color which is only 3 stage. To make matters even worse, silver is the hardest color to match. To date, there is not a paint manufacturer that can perfectly match the SS. No matter what anyone tells you, no matter what the Nissan body shop tells you, this is the truth. I know b/c I have a 1 inch scratch under my mirror along the body line as someone broke into my car and glass scratched the side of the door. I decided to leave the scratch rather than risk having to repaint the whole side of the car. Not to mention.....repaint = crap on resale.

Peter

houstonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
V8_Club
Registered Member

Dang !!! . Shit man , thats crazy. I heard that the SS was a special color but didn't think about this . Good thing then I went for Gun Metal.
09 Lexus LX570
10 Camaro SS
V8_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
TODGTR
Registered Member

Only a certified GTR repair shop can do it. houstonT is correct the process is very difficult. The shop I went to in Atlanta repaired a sratch in SS for $900. It took 3 days to complete and the shop said the would rather not do it for only $900. Nissan can tell you which shops have been certified. Good luck.
TODGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
houstonT
Registered Member

It does NOT matter if the shop is certified or not...there is NOT an exact paint match for the color. PPG, Dupont, and the other paint manufacturers will tell you they have the solution but they do not. I'm sure they are close, but no exact match. Anyone who has had a SS repaint/repair will not have perfect paint in the repair spot. ANYONE that knows what to look for will be able to pick it out in a heartbeat...sorry to say.

Keep in mind that their fix is simply to sand down the affected area...spray SS over the area by hand, then shoot a clear coat film over the whole body panel. This is FAR from the process used when painted new.

Peter

houstonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
discodan
Registered 911 Terminator

I'm also sorry to bear bad news and really feel for your pain. I'm sure for all of us there has been a moment where something has happened and it has lead to some irrevocable damage to our pride and joy.

I do know unfortunately that silver is the hardest color to match for any body shop. Ideally you'll need the whole car to be stripped down and the whole coat applied again to get it nearest to perfection I'm afraid.

Food luck

Sold MB SLK55, previous life... R32 Skyline GTR with T78 single turbo conversion, OS Giken head and 720bhp.

Oh no, what have I done.... will I not learn... R35 now with Exhaust and intake!
discodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
mmc2488
Registered Member

That is why I got black. I think there is only one Nissan sanctioned body shop in the country that can fix SS. I think it's in CA. Try an Aston Martin Dealership. Aston uses pretty much the same process on all their colors. Get the paint from Nissan.
2008 335i Conv
2008 CLK 63 AMG Black Series
2007 Lotus Exige S
2009 Land Cruiser
2009 GMC 3500 Dually
1976 Eldorado Conv
mmc2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Bajaboy
Registered Member

Default Ugh...You guys are not helping my outlook!

I had heard that Super Silver was going to be hard to fix if anything happened, but I didn't realize the extent of it. The damage is way too major to leave as-is, but it's going to bum me out for the lifetime of the car if there's a "patched" spot that looks visibly different from the rest of the car. Has ANYONE out there had a Super Silver car repaired that found the repair satisfactory?! I'm holding out hope that it won't be as bad as it sounds. It's about 6" under the driver's side view mirror, so maybe it won't be TOO visible?
That's not a bad idea with the Aston Martin dealer, as I'm sure they have a VERY high quality standard, but I'm thinking I'll check with the Nissan dealer first and hear their thoughts. Either way, I'll post how things turn out.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
discodan
Registered 911 Terminator

Good luck with the repairs man and be ruthless with them. On my old SLK55 which was in the Silver Iridium (silver with a strong Blue tinge throughout) I was victim to two 'key scratches' on the Passenger side. Once I found out where the insurance agency was to repair it, I went to the shop, thoroughly looked over their facility, found out who it was that will be doing the work on the car and asked him to do his best. The guy did a great job and I bought him a case of really great Merlot, one of his favorites.

Sold MB SLK55, previous life... R32 Skyline GTR with T78 single turbo conversion, OS Giken head and 720bhp.

Oh no, what have I done.... will I not learn... R35 now with Exhaust and intake!
discodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Kickhard
Registered Member

I had a pretty good scratch on my passenger side rear panel caused by some road debris. I decided to wet sand it a bit to see if I could get some of it out and it worked. The scratch is barely noticable now. But if you dont know what your doing dont attempt it. I would normally start with a 800grit paper but with my super silver paint I started with 1500grit and worked to 3000grit. This takes longer but helps me with not making bigger scratches and keeping the paint smooth.

2009 Nissan GTR Super Silver
2008 IS-F Star Fire Pearl /Black
2007 Mini Cooper S Laser Blue Sold
2004 E55 AMG Sold
2004 Subie STI Black/Gold wheels Sold
2001 ML55 AMG Sold
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo(Modified 800rwhp) Sold
Kickhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
Bajaboy
Registered Member

I hear you DiscoDan on inspecting the shop, but I went in to the Nissan dealer on Friday and they said they would be sending it out to a central "GTR body repair facility" (which probably means another dealer with better facilities). I didn't leave the car there, as they couldn't give me a repair quote on the spot. Since I'm still unsure of what it's going to cost to fix, I don't know if it's going to be worth filing with insurance and possibly having my rates go through the roof (they are surprisingly low right now). Anyone have any insurance claims and see what happened to their rate?
And Kickhard, I wish I could wet sand this one out, but it actually tore through the paint AND 1/8" into the metal for about a 5" stretch! I've NEVER had anything like this happen with any other car...bummer that it happened with this one!!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
Kickhard
Registered Member

I hear ya Bajaboy. The paint issue is my main complaint with Super Silver. No one can match it. It is flawed from the factory(Ghosting in the paint). I am even scared to just park in the parking lot at a store because some ass might damage it. And on top of that there was a 3000 premium for it!! LOL

Oh and the touch up paint is no where close to super silver.

2009 Nissan GTR Super Silver
2008 IS-F Star Fire Pearl /Black
2007 Mini Cooper S Laser Blue Sold
2004 E55 AMG Sold
2004 Subie STI Black/Gold wheels Sold
2001 ML55 AMG Sold
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo(Modified 800rwhp) Sold
Kickhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
gadfly

Is the metal dented? sounds like you might need a new door....

Does nissan sell doors pre-painted in SS?
gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
NJNYCGTR
Registered Member

The saleman at my dealership mentioned it is a self healing paint. Is that true? He said its not worth the extra money and he doesnt really believe it self heals either. Is yours self healing? Maybe slowly?
NJNYCGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:25 AM   #15
mc
"powered by HKS"

GT-R doesnt have self healing paint thats seen on some infiniti models. (basically its just a clear coat that can reasorb light hairline scratches when it heats up)
2009 Black Obsidian GT-R #0278. Powered by HKS. Legamax Exhaust. Racepipe. Hybrid filters
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #16
mc
"powered by HKS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadfly View Post
Is the metal dented? sounds like you might need a new door....

Does nissan sell doors pre-painted in SS?
only thing that comes prepainted is the dark grey bottom trim of the car
2009 Black Obsidian GT-R #0278. Powered by HKS. Legamax Exhaust. Racepipe. Hybrid filters
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
Old 08-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
NJNYCGTR
Registered Member

Ah, I should let my salesman know because he was saying that it was self healing paint. Thanks. He was making faces when he told me that the paint self healed so I dont think he believed it either lol.

Regardless of the paint, it sucks when you get a ding/nick on the car other than a light surface scratch. Within 200 miles of driving mine I got a chink in the armor of the GTR paint as well, nice and deep, but only about the size of a pen top.

Bajaboy - I hope you are able to get this taken care of with little problem and cost.
NJNYCGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #18
Bajaboy
Registered Member

I'm still trying to sort things out to get it fixed. Seems none of the local dealers are very confident that they are going to be able to return the paint to its original look. I don't think I'm going to need a new door skin, as I assume a tiny bit of filler will be all that's need to remove the rip/dent. I don't think the GTR's paint is self-healing, though this would DEFINITELY not heal itself...it's into the metal!

MC, are you sure that you can't order the entire door painted in Super Silver from the factory? I kinda liked the sound of that idea. Has anyone tried to buy a pre-painted body panel?

Man, looking at that gouge every time I get into my car really gets depressing!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
stormcrow
n00b

speaking of paint... does anyone know the color code for the grey bottom trim pieces?
stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
mc
"powered by HKS"

^ kae
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
Old 08-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
stormcrow
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc View Post
^ kae
i've heard that and BKAE.. is there a difference? thanks MC.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #22
mc
"powered by HKS"

yeah here is the actual color sheet

im used to the Nissan paint codes that are 3 digits im not sure what that B infront of the codes means

1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #23
stormcrow
n00b

MC, you always have everything... you = the man. /all
Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #24
Registered Member

I do not have personal experience with this shop, but I just thought you guys might want to check out this post in the Atlanta Area forum:

http://www.nissangtrclub.com/showthread.php?t=2619

One member has had a good experience with them, and they have successfully worked with a Super Silver GT-R.
5Zigen Downpipes
5Zigen Midpipe
5Zigen Cat-back Exhaust
HKS BOV Kit
HKS EVC6 Boost Controller
AAM Waste Gate Actuators
T1R Stainless Braded Brake Lines
I-Forged 22" Formula Series Rev Wheels
Nitto 22" Tires
Candy Painted Tail Lights and Side Marker Lights
Super Silver Painted Lower Body Panels
111 is offline   Reply With Quote