Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
0-60 without launch control??? - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
ghall
Registered Member

Default 0-60 without launch control???

does anyone know or has tried to find the 0-60 without using the launch control???
ghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Jm-Imports
Registered Member

i got 2.88 at santa pod UK
Jm-Imports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
wefordus
Registered Member

Default So, Just How Slow is a Nissan GT-R Without Launch Control Engaged?

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6356422/...ged/index.html

So, Just How Slow is a Nissan GT-R Without Launch Control Engaged?

Posted Today 12:15 PM by Edward Loh
Filed under: Technology, Nissan, Exotics, Nissan GT-R

A nasty little rumor started circulating recently that the 2010 GT-R would be hitting dealer lots without its vaunted (and controversial) launch control system. We asked Nissan for the official word and the reply was that no such decision has been made.

It stands to reason that they're considering it, however, given all the negative publicity (real and imagined) they've been receiving about $20,000 warranty claims (real and imagined) on the dual clutch transmission, so we went back into our testing records to see how a launch control-less GT-R performs.

But first, let's clear up a few things. According to Nissan's PR department, using launch control on the GT-R does not automatically void warranty claims on damage to the car. Ditto for turning off the VDC. In addition, using launch control with VDC off does not automatically void warranty coverage. But abuse of any these features can result in the warranty coverage being voided. How does one define abuse? That's where the grey area starts and forum rants begin.

While no one but Nissan's claims department is privy to the formula it uses to determine when acceptable use becomes outright abuse, it is important to note that Nissan is far from the only manufacturer that can and will deny a warranty claim due to blatant misuse of a vehicle. Virtually every automaker has such clauses in their warranties, even BMW's vaunted Ultimate Service program, which promises no routine maintenance costs for four years or 50,000 miles. Check the fine print. Such clauses aren't just for high performance cars either. Bring your car back to the dealership with only 200 miles on clock and a smoked clutch, and it won't matter if it's a Corvette ZR-1 or Hyundai Elantra, the service writer will slowly start shaking his head.

But enough blathering about the warranty controversy. Assuming Nissan bean counters win and the 2010 GT-R wades across the Pacific sans launch control, what can we except?

No more 3.2-second runs to 60 mph, but still a stonkingly fast car.

Last spring when we first got our hands on the GT-R (the red one pictured here) we tested it at El Toro Marine Corps Air Station with full launch control mode engaged. For giggles, we quarter-miled it in regular mode as well, a situation I remember well because of the distinct lack of drama. There was no squatting, no grunting, or jerky four wheel spinning rollout. The GT-R left the line smoothly and slowly -- so slowly it looked like it might turn in a 5- or 6- sec. 0-60 time.

Indeed it was slower, but not that much. Turns out, you can still be a superhero in the GT-R simply by mashing the throttle; 60 mph arrives in 3.9-sec., the 1/4-mile in 12.2-sec. at 119.2 miles per hour. Here are the full numbers:

Speed (mph) Time (sec)
0-30 1.9
0-40 2.5
0-50 3.2
0-60 3.9
0-70 4.9
0-80 6.0
0-90 7.2
0-100 8.6
1/4-mile 12.2 sec. @ 119.2 mph

Note that these are our standard corrected numbers (including a one foot roll out and corrections for temperature and elevation), but conditions that day didn't warrant any massive correction. In fact, the 0-60 time didn't change appreciably with correction.

To put the GT-R's launch control-less performance into perspective, here are the performances of the four cars we had in our October 2007 Science of Speed shootout:

0-60 mph 1/4-mile
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 3.7 sec 11.8 sec @ 121.6mph
Dodge Viper SRT-10 3.7 sec 11.7 sec @ 124.4mph
Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 4.0 sec 12.0 sec @ 123.8mph
Porsche 911 GT3 3.8 sec 12.2 sec @ 115.2mph

It's worth noting that of the players in this list, only the Z06 comes close to the GT-R's price as tested. The rest are at least $15,000 more (or $300,000 in the case of the Lambo), assuming no dealer mark up on the Nissan.

So what does this all mean? Not a whole lot. Sure, a launch control-less GT-R is still a fast, high performance value, but like we said at the beginning -- Nissan has not stated definitively that launch control would be deleted from the 2010 GT-R. In addition, there are rumors that the new car will receive a minor bump in horsepower and perhaps a few more tweaks. When have all the details, you can be sure we'll bring them to you first.
wefordus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
GTRForLife
Registered Member

I could be wrong, but I thought that the 0-60 was 3.5 w/o LC. And that with LC, you can get it down to 3.2-3.3.

But hey, we're not buying this car just for 0-60, there's a lot more to the whole package. If it was just 0-60, you'd just get a TTed civic lol.
GTRForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:51 AM   #5
mindlessoath
Registered Member

http://www.gtrcenter.net/?p=976

Looks like you have to let the foot off the pedel, it has to make sure its not pressed at all, then mash the accel. it works fine in auto mode and will net you at least high 11's best seen sofar with this is 11.69 or something like that. thats as good as launch control right? pritty close anyways.
Latest post: on February 25, 2010, 8:10 pm
Submit Stories, News, Images, Events, etc... by email
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Datalogging that we performed several months ago WITHOUT launch control and with me (~220 pounds) and Jared (~320 pounds) in the car showed 0-60mph times of 4.1 seconds by just going 100% throttle from a dead stop, and 4.3 seconds by 'power braking' the car (holding brake and throttle and letting off brake.) So, with just one person in the car, sub-4 second 0-60mph runs should be easy and repeatable.

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
V8_Club
Registered Member

Sub 5 Secs to me is good enough in a car weighing as much as the GT-R does. So the Sub 4 Sec still without LC is SWEET. I have a number of customers with ZO6's begging for ahem "Tests" They want to show me the error of my ways ( according to them ) when I picked the GT-R over the ZR1. You can see by my Nick and Sig where my roots are .
09 Lexus LX570
10 Camaro SS
V8_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
mindlessoath
Registered Member

the R35 will loose any other car from a roll due to the way the gearing is and also that its only rated at 473hp.

so if your going to show off to a vette on the street, not only will it beat you from a roll, it will start to surpas you after around 70mph.

so the R35 really isnt a strait line car, but its damn fast from a stop all the way to a quarter mile.

add more power and your going to be much faster (tho adding more power makes the wheels spin in first and secound (dpeneding how much power you add) meaning it will not be as fast as it could be.
Latest post: on February 25, 2010, 8:10 pm
Submit Stories, News, Images, Events, etc... by email
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #9
V8_Club
Registered Member

Oh i totally agree that the GT-R isn't a straight line car. I meant to say I'm very happy with what it can do from a stop light. It might not be the fastest out there but hey it isn't a pushover either. If anyone wants a piece of me over here , I always ask them to wait while I warm up my 650 RWHP C5
09 Lexus LX570
10 Camaro SS
V8_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
GTRjoe1
Registered Member

Using my G-Tech, I can confirm that the GT-R is capable of 0-60 in the low 4 second range, without using launch control.

The specific times I got were 4.1 seconds, and allowing for the fact that these things are not necessarily accurate to 1/10th of a second, I think it is safe to assume that approximately 4 seconds is in the ballpark.

By the way, I have used the same G-Tech on my E55 amd subsequently on the E63, and both of those were in the 4.2- 4.3 second range.

Using the same instrument, in the G-force mode, the GT-R pulled the strongest G-forces in first and second gear than any of my cars. (The G-Tech in acceleration mode agrees very closely with the G-force readings on the car's screen).
GTRjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
DarinF
Registered Member

My 0-60 with girlfriend as passenger, full tank of gas, without LC mashing the throttle is 3.5 seconds with crappy tires.

Im going to do some drag runs Dec 12th with my Yokohamas and record everything to see how it runs.
DarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
Ev0H8t3r
GOTZIRA

I know none of us got the car fro it0-60 performance! If so you go the wrong car...

We got it for what it is and what it stands for! and to fullfill our SKYLINE dreams!
Gotzira
-Kaizen Tuning LLC (978) 266-9900
Sales@Kaizentuning.com
-Kaizen Tuning LLC
www.kaizentuning.com
Ev0H8t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev0H8t3r View Post
I know none of us got the car fro it0-60 performance! If so you go the wrong car...

We got it for what it is and what it stands for! and to fullfill our SKYLINE dreams!
Amen. And Halleluyah!!
Previous toys:
'81 DeLorean ('81-2005), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-'80)
CajunGodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote