SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #26
mc
"powered by HKS"

alot of old and misinformation here.....so let me give some factual info to clear it all up

if you drive with VDC off at anytime (launch control or no launch control) and you have failure of some sort that is deemed to be the result of VDC off (this includes at the track, drifting doughnuts or whatever....) then the repair to that failed part will not be warranted by nissan. this does not mean your entire warranty is void just the repair to that component is out of your wallet.

the reason they updated the TCM for 2010 and made it available to 09 owners is to take away any "real" advantage of having VDC off. the car accelerates about 90% or better with the new launch technique as it did the the old launch control. so you have no need really to turn it off. VDC R gives you plenty of room on a track situation before it comes on. you can maintain a warranty for HPDE and lapping day ,if you keep up with your fluid temperatures and do the changes based on those. (sustained periods at 230 degrees F is what Nissan considers the threshold for the 1800 mile fluid intervals) and over 260F oil and 284F tranny for instant changes. if your not sure if your has been to those levels you can have it checked in about 5 mins with the Consult III. there are like 4 or 5 temp ranges the car logs and will tell you how many times you have been in each

also the GT-R records 36 hours of driving parameters as you might know BUT....the VDC off logs are Permanent as in forever and if you log too many of those or for an elongated period of time and have something go wrong with the transaxle of AWD or whatever then they can deny warranty based on those logs.

thats how it is.

go get the TCM update if you havent already dont turn VDC off and enjoy the car and put alot of this paranoia behind you.
2009 Black Obsidian GT-R #0278. Powered by HKS. Legamax Exhaust. Racepipe. Hybrid filters
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3

Last edited by mc; 03-30-2009 at 12:22 AM..
mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #27
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

I'm sorry to have to say it, but anyone who decides to sell their car "based on the header of this string" as stated by one owner above, is putting WAY to much credit to what they read in places like this.

This thread is so FULL of mis-information it should be shut-down.
Previous toys:
'81 DeLorean ('81-2005), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-'80)
CajunGodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #28
cmd51230
Registered Member

The word "alarmist" does come to mind...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #29
R35AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledcat805 View Post
yea i just talked to another GTR owner and he said he had to sign a contract NOT to sell it before 6 months of ownership or the Warranty will not transfer with the car.

so its 6 months not within the first model year for the whole warranty issue

also for buying a used GTR i recommend having Nissan sign off on it for warranty before buying it. if the owner does NOT want to do that then DONT buy it!!! her prob. knows and has driven with the VDC off a lot

i assume that 09 GTR's with the invalid warranty will sell for around mid to high $40k range. after all replacing the trans is what $20k !

mmm... i don think that is true though.. I bought mine in January, used. The previous owner bought it in September last year. And I still have my warranty.
R35AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #30
cheesewz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R35AAA View Post
mmm... i don think that is true though.. I bought mine in January, used. The previous owner bought it in September last year. And I still have my warranty.
I had heard the same rumor before I bought mine, that they would be voiding warranties if you flipped the car. Turned out to be total shite, just like most of the other rumors did.
cheesewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #31
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

So..Nissan had to check all the used cars for your "Rights"? RIGHT?
Anywhere,if you can't affort to a new tranny,follow the Nissan rules...
I had no rules cause no warranty for my car in my country:
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #32
R35AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewz View Post
I had heard the same rumor before I bought mine, that they would be voiding warranties if you flipped the car. Turned out to be total shite, just like most of the other rumors did.
ahahha.. but i really think voiding the warranty when VDC off is a total bullshit.. i Don't understand it at all, what is in Nissan's f*ckin mind.
R35AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #33
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Old 03-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #34
cheesewz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R35AAA View Post
ahahha.. but i really think voiding the warranty when VDC off is a total bullshit.. i Don't understand it at all, what is in Nissan's f*ckin mind.
Shite or not, I do seem to recall that being mentioned in the disclosure form.

With all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that has come of it, they would have been far better off to not even bother putting those 3 buttons and launch mode on the car at all. I would have bought the car without them, and suspect that plenty of other people would have as well.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #35
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

Location: san luis obispo, ca (looking to buy a white GTR, contact me)

i hope someone comes out with something to block recording to this black box recorder so we can do whatever we want with the car we buy!

hell if i spend that much for a car i should do with it what i wish

also as for the ZR1 Corvette, i said it DIDN'T beat it but they also choose to run the GTR against it and it was close in all categories which says a lot considering the GTR is like half the price!

do a bit of tweaking to the GTR and you will have a faster car for a lot less then buying a ZR1 and prob. spend a lot less getting there. i don't think there is a whole lot you can upgrade to the ZR1 anyways without having really deep pockets.

i am going to find a used GTR with verified warranty and do small upgrades through nismo keeping the warranty intact. then once its up i am going to school on the car and get an aftermarket warranty that doesn't restrict me.

why buy this car new for $70-80k dollars when they are already out used with very low miles for $20k less. watch we will see some soon with voided warranty in the $40k price range i bet

for around $60k this is quite a car even used and is worth every penny in my book.

PS: they already have a flash for the 09 that is suppose to fix the launch issue plus a few more items i guess.

Last edited by spoiledcat805; 03-30-2009 at 03:47 PM..
spoiledcat805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #36
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

Jeremy cleared it up for me on the whole thing and MC just put up in detail what Jeremy told me

if you have a 2009 GTR get the new flash update which makes it so you don't really need the VDC off.

also if you are looking to buy a used GTR it is smart to take it into nissan to have the black box checked to see how the previous owner drove it. they can check to see if it has active warranty as well with the info they get.

you have to wonder, why is this person selling this car?

thank you MC for posting that info, i don't think i will take mine to the track but its nice to know i can without hurting my warranty.

PS: MC: does the computer system in the car keep me updated as to the fluid and everything you mentioned? like if i were to take it to the track can i set up the system to help me keep track of it all to make sure its 100%
Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #37
mc
"powered by HKS"

Quote:

PS: MC: does the computer system in the car keep me updated as to the fluid and everything you mentioned? like if i were to take it to the track can i set up the system to help me keep track of it all to make sure its 100%
well you just have your #2 screen on the MFD that shows you the temps in real time. it doesnt log them on the MFD

but 5 mins with your GTR tech at the dealer and you can see a history of the fluid temps and it will tell you how many times you were in each range

for instance last time i checked mine i had been in range 1 498 times range 2 303 and the 230 and up range 0 times
2009 Black Obsidian GT-R #0278. Powered by HKS. Legamax Exhaust. Racepipe. Hybrid filters
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #38
sstevens06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewz View Post
Shite or not, I do seem to recall that being mentioned in the disclosure form.

With all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that has come of it, they would have been far better off to not even bother putting those 3 buttons and launch mode on the car at all. I would have bought the car without them, and suspect that plenty of other people would have as well.
Amen brother! I'd have bought the car even if they only offered it in primer red.
sstevens06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #39
theTTshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc2488 View Post
Yes I have owned an F40. You can't import a Zonda unless your Yclef. I have also owned a Carrera GT, F430, 997 Turbo, GT3, GT2, and pretty much every other significant sports car on the planet. I bought the GTR for the same reason everyone else did. Claims of spectacular performance for 70K. And thats what you get? A 70K "Super Car". No such thing. Doesn't fit the definition. And now, based on the header of this thread, I can't track it with out voiding my warranty. Before I knew this, I was fine with all the claims people were making about a glass tranny. That's what happens when you abuse a car, they break. But, for Nissan to make this a mandate, throws a flag on the field in my opinion. What are they hiding? Is the transmission weak and unable to handle the stress of a track day. My insurance company will cover damage at a track as long as an instructor is in the car. They consider it a School. But when I go to change the oil after "school", the tech plugs in the car and finds data that represents abuse. Now I lose my warranty. BS. I talked to my dealer and my mechanic after reading this thread. They were both very concerned about having to find a buyer for my MY09 GTR with low miles. They don't like what they are hearing form NNA either. Makes it harder to sell a car when someone comes in and says "I heard you can lose your warranty buy driving Spirited". No other make that I have owned or owned currently has ever put such restrictions on a car. And I will not calm down. I have 1.5 tons of useless Japanese metal in my garage. No, I don't need LC. And, NO! It isn't that quick. I could shorten the gearing in an E46 M3 and come up with similar numbers to the GTR. By the way. They had Slicks on the GTR at the Ring. That's how they beat the 997.
So what, you thought that just because Nissan(and damn near everyone else) labeled it a supercar that it would live up to the standards of a F40 or any of the other supercars you've owned? Just like sports car, the definition can vary widely. There's no specific definition for supercar (correct me if there are international standards), and your sob story about how you can't have a warranty doesn't really make me sad (seems like you have some money haha LUCKY! ). So what if Nissan doesn't warranty parts? Just tune it up and run it around the track. (The Mine's, MCR, and Amuse GT-Rs are all running like champions.) Like I said, I will take 1.5 tons of Japanese supercar any day. hahaha
Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #40
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #41
Greg S.
Vin#251887

I spent Monday at Buttonwillow with 10 other GT-Rs and an R32.4. Cars running from 8:30am until 5pm.

Did not hear one complaint.

Except the one about the day ending too soon.
Greg S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #42
mindlessoath
Registered Member

Stop spreading miss information I would go point for point but its already a long two pages. But some of you folks have things totally wrong. Like mmc and the original poster (no offense).
Latest post: on February 25, 2010, 8:10 pm
Submit Stories, News, Images, Events, etc... by email
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #43
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

+1. Agreed! It sounds like the best way to make both SpoiledCat and mmc happy would be for mmc to sell his unwanted GT-R to Spoiled. mmc HATES it, thinks it has little value, and should be willing to sell it to Spoiled for a song, just to be rid of it. And Spoiled can get the bargain-priced used car he wants. Then maybe they could both stop ranting mis-information on this thread.
Previous toys:
'81 DeLorean ('81-2005), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-'80)
CajunGodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #44
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

i already stated that i posted old info and Jeremy and another guy already informed me the truth behind the matter

basically LEAVE THE VDC ON!!! to many launches with it off will damage the trans which cost $20,000 to replace and nissan will laugh at you if you ask them to cover it! lol

also for used GTR's it smart to have Nissan check the black box to confirm the previous owner has not launched it to many times with it off. got to make sure its been well taken care of and the warranty is intact

they should remove the VDC button on the car

but one thing i am wondering which i did hear from a couple GTR owners is that 6 month no resale agreement?

is that true or is it a rumor or what....

i guess nissan might have put a 6 month lock on reselling it with intact full factory warranty. i guess the original rumor was a year on that but now i heard its only 6 months but then a few people said they haven't heard of it?

anyone?

this was i guess said to be put in place by nissan so people don't buy the car and turn it for a major profit. but this hasn't stopped as% Hol$ dealers from charging over MSRP for them new!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #45
cheesewz
Registered Member

Quote:
but one thing i am wondering which i did hear from a couple GTR owners is that 6 month no resale agreement?

is that true or is it a rumor or what....

i guess nissan might have put a 6 month lock on reselling it with intact full factory warranty. i guess the original rumor was a year on that but now i heard its only 6 months but then a few people said they haven't heard of it?

anyone?

this was i guess said to be put in place by nissan so people don't buy the car and turn it for a major profit. but this hasn't stopped as% Hol$ dealers from charging over MSRP for them new!
Another false rumor. I'd heard the same thing before I bought mine and it wasn't true.

Maybe Nissan floated that rumor with the idea of reducing speculators who just bought the car to flip it? But that's just a conspiracy theory.

You should be able to find a car at MSRP, or at least in places. The dealer I bought mine from ended up with a guy who backed out of a Super Silver, and he ended up selling it at MSRP to move it. That was in December. With the economy in its current state, I wouldn't be surprised to see more people back out of cars, making them available at closer to MSRP than they originally were. I paid about 3k over MSRP and felt pretty good about it.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #46
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

i just checked kelly blue book and they estimate that this car will drop significatly in value in the next 5 years!

hell they are already selling used for $20,000 bellow MSRP with under 10k miles for a car that is what maybe 7 months old?

that is not a good sign
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #47
Greg S.
Vin#251887

Quote:
i just checked kelly blue book and they estimate that this car will drop significatly in value in the next 5 years!

hell they are already selling used for $20,000 bellow MSRP with under 10k miles for a car that is what maybe 7 months old?

that is not a good sign
If you can find this car, buy it. Hell, if you can find two, I'll take one myself. I would love to have a spare.
Greg S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #48
cheesewz
Registered Member

Quote:

that is not a good sign
So says Kelly. Meh. Go look up an M3, a ZR1 and a 911 Turbo. Notice that they show a very similar decline in value over the 5 year period. For that matter, look up an 09 Mercedes S65 AMG. New - 200k. 5 years - 48k. That is 24% of original value. See the trend here?

If you're so concerned about resale value, buy a Mini. It's number one on the Cars.com resale list. GT-R is in their top 10 too.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....=bes t_resale

GT-R is their best in class (sports luxury) for resale value.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....=&aff=national

If you find a GT-R with under 10k miles at 20 below MSRP, there's probably something wrong with the car. Do some research and you'll see most of the used ones between 75-90k.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #49
mindlessoath
Registered Member

Nissan didn't want people flipping the car. Dealers were ripping people off and people who bought one know people would pay much higher so they bought and sold it for even more. This may or may not have happened in japan... I dunno. But it didn't happen here. It should have but nissan usa messed up everything. Now people got stuck paying over msrp and expensive maintance fee's too... Nissan japan did it the right way and sold them at msrp and noted more maintance has to be done... Say like a lambo. .. Cause the performance is similar.
Latest post: on February 25, 2010, 8:10 pm
Submit Stories, News, Images, Events, etc... by email
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #50
jsbkg
Registered Member

I am sorry.
I don't mean to be rude nor to disturb you by any matter. I am getting sick and tired of this thread. We already had it enough in past.
jsbkg is offline   Reply With Quote