Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
GTR you will VOID WARRANTY if you Quote "RACE" it - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

Location: san luis obispo, ca (looking to buy a white GTR, contact me)
Default GTR you will VOID WARRANTY if you Quote "RACE" it

i just found this article about Nissan Voiding Warranty on your transmission if the black box says you raced it!!! WTF

how does this pan out for guys buying this car used???

if i want a used one will i now have to have it brought over to Nissan to check the black box history to make sure my warranty is good!

this is crazy man, i don't want a black box in mine

here is the article:

Bad news from a North American GT-R Owners Club member: Apparently you can't launch your new Nissan GT-R or take the VDC off for racing spirited driving as all activity is recorded in the GT-R's black box data recorder and then used by Nissan techs to void your warranty by "proving" that you were racing.

As it stands, it looks like a handful of unfortunate GT-R owners might be getting the shaft from Nissan. Last Saturday, a GT-R owner on the NAGTROC forums posted his experience of dealing with Nissan after he starting hearing a loud noise coming from the rear of his car and took it in to get it checked out.

He says the dealer didn't even touch his car -- rather, two techs from Nissan's Tennessee headquarters showed up to look at the car and record the noise, and then 4 days later two techs from Japan came, download some info from the car and left.

A short while later, the dealer gives him the much-anticipated ring but proceeds to tell him the bad news: Sorry sir, but it looks like the car was driven too much without the VDC turned on and now the transmission is destroyed. Sorry but we can't cover it. The cost for a new tranny is 20 large. Have a nice day sir.

Damn! Ouch! We're sure that's not how it went down per se, but the message is still the same from Nissan: "We can prove that you drove the car hard, so you must have been racing. And since our warranty doesn't cover racing, you're screwed buddy!

That is low-life behavior and Nissan knows it. They will have to start acting properly very soon or there will be a lot off pissed-of GT-R owners out there. As forum member septskyline put it: "I know we shouldn't launch the car but why own it if you cant use this function, don't sell a car that goes 0-60 in 3.4 sec if the only way you can achieve this speed is to void the warranty, false advertising."

We're sure something's not going as planned and Nissan will act soon to make-right the existing warranty claims and the many more that are already in the making, or even better, issue a recall to fix whatever weak link is causing this, but all we can do now is wait.

Somewhere in the future, every new car will come equipped with some sort of "black box" data recorder from the factory in order to help dealers easily and cheaply weed-out claims, but on performance cars this could become a huge issue as we can see already. Best of luck to septskyline and the others out there in the same uncomfortable shoes. Hopefully you'll be back on the road in no time.
spoiledcat805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

this will cause many lawsuits for Nissan if they don't do something about it. Also is this black box an invasion of privacy in a way?

i mean where i go and what i do in my car and with my car is my own business and i don't want some black box telling on me. if i come to a light next to a corvette or viper and he wants to go i will go.

i dont want to roll down my window and say

"sorry i can't race you, it will void my warranty. maybe after 3 years or 36k miles if we meet again i will race you"

i will get laughed at

this is ridiculous and kind of sways me from buying one now.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

now i just read that warranty will be voided if the car is sold used within the first production year!

so if this is true then any used car being sold right now doesn't come with warranty which is crazy and stupid.

here is the article:

Control is a word you hear a lot in automotive circles these days – stability control, traction control, car control. Nissan is seriously considering introducing another type: Price control. The Japanese automaker is bringing its much-coveted Skyline GT-R high-performance car to the U.S., where it will be called the Nissan GT-R and start at about \$70,000. The company does not want speculators buying the car just to re-sell it above the sticker price. So Nissan is considering limiting the warranty to only the original buyer for the first year after a GT-R was sold at the dealer. Sell it before that year is up, and the warranty is voided.

Blog and message board posts show that people mostly support the idea of preventing speculators from buying and flipping. But a bigger concern seems to be whether Nissan will make any effort to keep dealers from charging a premium over the MSRP. Don’t hold your breath. While Nissan can shape the warranty to its purpose, there’s little that it can or would do about dealer pricing; that might open a messy can of price-fixing worms. Allocation limits outside the normal procedure are also unlikely. Dealers that sell a lot of cars are going to get more GT-Rs than stores that don’t do as well, if Nissan follows typical practice for a limited-production vehicle.

Often a car that’s been mega hyped will get a dealer premium slapped on regardless of the base price. The Miata debuted at less than \$20,000 and dealers were tacking a few grand onto the sticker. When Pontiac reintroduced the GTO a few years ago, some dealers were adding to the bottom line on that car. BMW Ms, Mercedes AMGs, Porsche Turbos and GT3s, and most exotics are sold at prices well above MSRP. A few years ago, a Porsche dealer in Los Angeles auctioned off for charity the chance to buy a 911 Turbo for sticker, which was about \$120k at the time. So, it’s not just mass paranoia among GT-R enthusiasts who are hoping to get what is one the hottest cars to never reach American shores.

Restrictions on buyers of new cars reselling them are pretty rare, but Ferrari reportedly has its new car customers sign an agreement that they will offer the Italian company first right of refusal to buy a car back. It can’t really stop someone directly from selling a car to someone else, but they do control who buys the more exotic models. The person who buys an F50 or Enzo and doesn’t offer it to Maranello first will have a hard time buying another new limited-edition Ferrari. Nissan isn’t really in the position to do this, so the warranty restriction is probably the carmaker’s best defense. People buy new or nearly new cars in part because of the warranty protection. Take that away, Nissan figures, and buyers of scalped cars will take their money to the dealer. Nissan has said it will make a decision on the warranty before the Tokyo Motor Show in October.

But it’s also entirely possible that some second owners won’t care about the warranty and are willing to pay big money to own the car. Over all, Nissan will prevent some price gouging by speculators. But nothing stops a dealer from putting their only GT-R on eBay in hopes of pocketing a nice profit over the sticker price. In that case, it’s back to caveat emptor , warranty or not.

Bob Beamesderfer
MyRide.com Road Test Editor
Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

SpoiledCat, it seems some of your concerns and postings are old news and/or perhaps misunderstandings.

Driving the car hard does NOT void the warranty.
Driving it with the VDC turned OFF will void the warranty. (That is what the black box looks at.)

With the newer cars (late 2009s or 2010s), or with older 2009s which all have been offered a free dealer re-programing, you can launch the car with the VDC still turned on. (Nissan has made this adjustment to address the issues in your posts.)

Tracking the car, autoX, etc. does NOT void the warranty (IF you don't turn the VDC OFF).
But Racing the car in formal Competition Racing will void the warranty.

I can't speak to the issue of whether a re-sold car that is less than 1-yr old is warranteed. That isn't an issue with which I've had to be concerned.

For clarity, get a hold of an Owners Manual and Warranty booklet and do some reading.

Finally, if you are buying a used one, I would DEFINITELY get it to a dealer to check the black box, FIRST. If it is shown to have significant driving with VDC off, it is probably without warrantee and possibly damaged from abuse.

My 2 cents. Good luck.
Previous toys:
'81 DeLorean ('81-2005), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-'80)
CajunGodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

oh sorry, i am new and didn't know this was already talked about!

thank you for your info
Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

No worries. We're all here to help each other.
Previous toys:
'81 DeLorean ('81-2005), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-'80)
Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
mmc2488
Registered Member

F this stupid F'ing car. I can't handle the BS anymore. This is like finding out that Godzilla "is" a guy in a dinosaur suit. I'm selling this bucket of shit.
2008 335i Conv
2008 CLK 63 AMG Black Series
2007 Lotus Exige S
2009 Land Cruiser
2009 GMC 3500 Dually
1976 Eldorado Conv
mmc2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
TODGTR
Registered Member

The manual recommends different service intervals if you track the car. Change the oil more frequently, etc. The car is designed for you to drive it on the track. Nissan drives it on the track before you get it and in Japan the speed limiter can be disabled when you are on a track. It generates downforce at both axles.

The manufactures warranty is transferable at anytime.
TODGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
FripsGirl
Registered Member

That's crazy.
I've heard of car companies that have put hidden navigational GPS's in the cars to void all warranty if it is found that the car has visited any race tracks... also this same car company also included an annual pass to a local racetrack with the purchase of the vehicle... Set up much???
FripsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

yea i just talked to another GTR owner and he said he had to sign a contract NOT to sell it before 6 months of ownership or the Warranty will not transfer with the car.

so its 6 months not within the first model year for the whole warranty issue

also for buying a used GTR i recommend having Nissan sign off on it for warranty before buying it. if the owner does NOT want to do that then DONT buy it!!! her prob. knows and has driven with the VDC off a lot

i assume that 09 GTR's with the invalid warranty will sell for around mid to high $40k range. after all replacing the trans is what $20k !
Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Greg S.
Vin#251887

Quote:
yea i just talked to another GTR owner and he said he had to sign a contract NOT to sell it before 6 months of ownership or the Warranty will not transfer with the car.

so its 6 months not within the first model year for the whole warranty issue
I just reviewed all my GT-R paperwork, and all I have to say is--

--Balderdash!
Greg S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

+1. Amazing, some of the BS that gets posted here.
Previous toys:
Old 03-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
sstevens06
Registered Member

Agreed. Bologna.
sstevens06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
mmc2488
Registered Member

Nissan has failed at producing a "Super Car" for the masses. They have given unreliable performance to the few who think they have the end all be all. It's all BS. Nissan will not stand behind there product. So I will not stand behind Nissan. This car is a joke. And to be honest, it really isn't that fast people. I have held back for a long time. I have owned and driven more cars than most people can dream of. I don't give a shit if you don't believe me. When a car company tells me what I can and can't do after waiting 9+ months for delivery and 70+ dollars. **** them.
2008 335i Conv
2007 Lotus Exige S
2009 Land Cruiser
2009 GMC 3500 Dually
1976 Eldorado Conv
Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

i do agree Nissan is not being fair and is trying to have way to much control over these cars.

as for the power of the car and you saying its not that fast?

it is very fast stock and gave the ZR1 a nice run for its money, it lost but it was still close and a nice car at almost half the price of the ZR1

also it has a lot of potential to be much much faster, just wait to see what Nismo produces for it. Hell Henessy already has a 600 and 700 horse power kit for it and jeremy's company offers the 820HP kit and there is a 1000HP kit in the works!

so this could very well be the next car that can do it all with the right mods and stock has proven itself very well

i would not buy one new because the used prices have already dropped $20,000 and that is not a good sign with the car being less then a year old.

i would expect around $5k a year used drop but $20,000 is crazy. nice for us used car buyers to get a discount but not good for the resale value for those who bought it new!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #16
spoiledcat805
soon to be a GTR owner!

i will buy one with about 5k to 10k miles on it for low $60k and drive it till the warranty runs out. then i will drop about 15k to 20k into it and make it one bad street machine, more then it already is!

i have driven many cars myself, nice ones, and right now i drive an 06 Saleen S281SC with over 500HP. its fast but putting the power to the ground and not burning the tires is hard. i want the same power in an AWD and this car is exactly what i am looking for!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
theTTshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc2488 View Post
Nissan has failed at producing a "Super Car" for the masses. They have given unreliable performance to the few who think they have the end all be all. It's all BS. Nissan will not stand behind there product. So I will not stand behind Nissan. This car is a joke. And to be honest, it really isn't that fast people. I have held back for a long time. I have owned and driven more cars than most people can dream of. I don't give a shit if you don't believe me. When a car company tells me what I can and can't do after waiting 9+ months for delivery and 70+ dollars. **** them.
1) It's just a car, calm down.
2) It's a production line super car, and you bought one of the first models...hmmm gremlins should have been expected.
3) Do you really need to use lauch control? I mean really? Uhhh no.
4) The GT-R isn't that quick? What are you driving? F40s? Zonda Fs? The thing keeps up with the MCR R34 stock, but grnated it isn't the FASTEST car but you bought it for $70k or so.
5) If you don't like it though I have a Z32TT who would love to have a R35 next to it. hahaha
Old 03-28-2009, 04:17 AM   #18
AlbertaGTRtechnician

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledcat805 View Post
i just found this article about Nissan Voiding Warranty on your transmission if the black box says you raced it!!! WTF

how does this pan out for guys buying this car used???

if i want a used one will i now have to have it brought over to Nissan to check the black box history to make sure my warranty is good!

this is crazy man, i don't want a black box in mine

here is the article:

Bad news from a North American GT-R Owners Club member: Apparently you can't launch your new Nissan GT-R or take the VDC off for racing spirited driving as all activity is recorded in the GT-R's black box data recorder and then used by Nissan techs to void your warranty by "proving" that you were racing.

As it stands, it looks like a handful of unfortunate GT-R owners might be getting the shaft from Nissan. Last Saturday, a GT-R owner on the NAGTROC forums posted his experience of dealing with Nissan after he starting hearing a loud noise coming from the rear of his car and took it in to get it checked out.

He says the dealer didn't even touch his car -- rather, two techs from Nissan's Tennessee headquarters showed up to look at the car and record the noise, and then 4 days later two techs from Japan came, download some info from the car and left.

A short while later, the dealer gives him the much-anticipated ring but proceeds to tell him the bad news: Sorry sir, but it looks like the car was driven too much without the VDC turned on and now the transmission is destroyed. Sorry but we can't cover it. The cost for a new tranny is 20 large. Have a nice day sir.

Damn! Ouch! We're sure that's not how it went down per se, but the message is still the same from Nissan: "We can prove that you drove the car hard, so you must have been racing. And since our warranty doesn't cover racing, you're screwed buddy!

That is low-life behavior and Nissan knows it. They will have to start acting properly very soon or there will be a lot off pissed-of GT-R owners out there. As forum member septskyline put it: "I know we shouldn't launch the car but why own it if you cant use this function, don't sell a car that goes 0-60 in 3.4 sec if the only way you can achieve this speed is to void the warranty, false advertising."

We're sure something's not going as planned and Nissan will act soon to make-right the existing warranty claims and the many more that are already in the making, or even better, issue a recall to fix whatever weak link is causing this, but all we can do now is wait.

Somewhere in the future, every new car will come equipped with some sort of "black box" data recorder from the factory in order to help dealers easily and cheaply weed-out claims, but on performance cars this could become a huge issue as we can see already. Best of luck to septskyline and the others out there in the same uncomfortable shoes. Hopefully you'll be back on the road in no time.
\

cry me a river about the flight recorder
not just sprint drive all conditions can be recorded
this arguments been around for ages with any super car
reckless driving is reckless driving

As the tech that works on the car i understand your confusion
paying 100k for the car but the car was not soley designed a drag race car to abruptly slam the clutches at a crushing 400+ ft/lbs at a standing stop even though you can (how many times?)

when you watch the nurberg runs they ran warm up and cool down laps
which very much helps the car, personally drag racing the gtr does no justice
for the car you have to road race around the track, its a time attack machine to me, feel the side gs, corner exit accelerations
remember 1800 miles of full racing its needs engine,trans/diff fluid changes
Shiro Nakamura was so pationate about the design he wanted perfect balance of the car in reliability and performance, but to have it last you must follow the procedure (warm ups and cool downs, and fluid changes)
GTR was a race car first and passenger car last
you dont see f1 cars unloaded and then raced they warm the engines up for hours before the race, tires warmed up, fluids pre heated and transfused to the vitaled components high end race cars are like that,
the gr6 tanny is pretty much a f1 style tranny as damn close as you can get to a passenger car
if you want the best out the car, take it to the track and pull some laps have a racing instructor show you how to drive the SH&T out of the car if you want to see the potential
AlbertaGTRtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #19
wrxgrillin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaGTRtechnician View Post
\

cry me a river about the flight recorder
not just sprint drive all conditions can be recorded
this arguments been around for ages with any super car
reckless driving is reckless driving

As the tech that works on the car i understand your confusion
paying 100k for the car but the car was not soley designed a drag race car to abruptly slam the clutches at a crushing 400+ ft/lbs at a standing stop even though you can (how many times?)

when you watch the nurberg runs they ran warm up and cool down laps
which very much helps the car, personally drag racing the gtr does no justice
for the car you have to road race around the track, its a time attack machine to me, feel the side gs, corner exit accelerations
remember 1800 miles of full racing its needs engine,trans/diff fluid changes
Shiro Nakamura was so pationate about the design he wanted perfect balance of the car in reliability and performance, but to have it last you must follow the procedure (warm ups and cool downs, and fluid changes)
GTR was a race car first and passenger car last
you dont see f1 cars unloaded and then raced they warm the engines up for hours before the race, tires warmed up, fluids pre heated and transfused to the vitaled components high end race cars are like that,
the gr6 tanny is pretty much a f1 style tranny as damn close as you can get to a passenger car
if you want the best out the car, take it to the track and pull some laps have a racing instructor show you how to drive the SH&T out of the car if you want to see the potential

The bad thing is that you cant even see the potential of the car because you have to turn the vdc off and that voids warranty. I could understand by turning off the vdc and launching voiding warranty, but if you wanted to get a lil sideways and have no traction control interference Nissan is saying that voids the warranty too by having the vdc off. I dont think that is fair at all, and as far as all or most of the problems that people are having are due to way to many launches, even though nissan advertised the car launching i dont think they intended on having the people launch the car the amount times they did.
wrxgrillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
AlbertaGTRtechnician

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgrillin View Post
The bad thing is that you cant even see the potential of the car because you have to turn the vdc off and that voids warranty. I could understand by turning off the vdc and launching voiding warranty, but if you wanted to get a lil sideways and have no traction control interference Nissan is saying that voids the warranty too by having the vdc off. I dont think that is fair at all, and as far as all or most of the problems that people are having are due to way to many launches, even though nissan advertised the car launching i dont think they intended on having the people launch the car the amount times they did.
yes it is unfortunate but if you really want to drive the car sideways
just do it, honestly if you cant afford to buy a super car twice over you really
shouldn't have bought it
AlbertaGTRtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #21
mmc2488
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTTshark View Post
1) It's just a car, calm down.
2) It's a production line super car, and you bought one of the first models...hmmm gremlins should have been expected.
3) Do you really need to use lauch control? I mean really? Uhhh no.
4) The GT-R isn't that quick? What are you driving? F40s? Zonda Fs? The thing keeps up with the MCR R34 stock, but grnated it isn't the FASTEST car but you bought it for $70k or so.
5) If you don't like it though I have a Z32TT who would love to have a R35 next to it. hahaha
Yes I have owned an F40. You can't import a Zonda unless your Yclef. I have also owned a Carrera GT, F430, 997 Turbo, GT3, GT2, and pretty much every other significant sports car on the planet. I bought the GTR for the same reason everyone else did. Claims of spectacular performance for 70K. And thats what you get? A 70K "Super Car". No such thing. Doesn't fit the definition. And now, based on the header of this thread, I can't track it with out voiding my warranty. Before I knew this, I was fine with all the claims people were making about a glass tranny. That's what happens when you abuse a car, they break. But, for Nissan to make this a mandate, throws a flag on the field in my opinion. What are they hiding? Is the transmission weak and unable to handle the stress of a track day. My insurance company will cover damage at a track as long as an instructor is in the car. They consider it a School. But when I go to change the oil after "school", the tech plugs in the car and finds data that represents abuse. Now I lose my warranty. BS. I talked to my dealer and my mechanic after reading this thread. They were both very concerned about having to find a buyer for my MY09 GTR with low miles. They don't like what they are hearing form NNA either. Makes it harder to sell a car when someone comes in and says "I heard you can lose your warranty buy driving Spirited". No other make that I have owned or owned currently has ever put such restrictions on a car. And I will not calm down. I have 1.5 tons of useless Japanese metal in my garage. No, I don't need LC. And, NO! It isn't that quick. I could shorten the gearing in an E46 M3 and come up with similar numbers to the GTR. By the way. They had Slicks on the GTR at the Ring. That's how they beat the 997.
2008 335i Conv
2007 Lotus Exige S
2009 Land Cruiser
2009 GMC 3500 Dually
1976 Eldorado Conv
Old 03-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #22
wrxgrillin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaGTRtechnician View Post
yes it is unfortunate but if you really want to drive the car sideways
just do it, honestly if you cant afford to buy a super car twice over you really
shouldn't have bought it
i can afford to buy it over twice, but why void the warranty witht the vdc off if ur not launching, doesnt make sense. Since youre a tech what is exactly the amount of time you have to drive to be abuse.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #23
wrxgrillin
Registered Member

Nissan really needs to stand behind their product, and support the consumer if things break. That time around the ring was done with the vdc off, and no they werent using slicks, theyre were using the optional dunlop tires. As far is it beating a zr1 who cares, the zr1 would shit on that thing in a straight line and on other road courses. My ? is whats the next bad a$$ car around the same price with the the those numbers, and a 4 seater.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #24
rabenoja
Registered Member

I'm sorry but this whole topic is BS!

I've been on track and my tech knows it. I have not voided my warranty nor did anything break. I also haven't turned my VDC off and I will be going to a few more track days.

If you are on a HPDE and something breaks, it will be covered by nissan. AS LONG AS you DONT turn off the VDC. When I drive my car on track I just triple R it anyway. I specifically asked about this and was told that I would be fine as long as I keep up with the maintainence.
rabenoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #25
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Pro is using VDC off for total control and fatest lap time.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote