Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
Anyone with Brake squeel? - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Blue Batmobile
Registered Member

Question Anyone with Brake squeel?

Just purchased my GT-R about a week ago . Unfortunately, I'm experience annoying brake squeel when I come to a stop. Havent had a chance to take it to the dealer yet to have it checked out, but has anyone experienced this?

Bat™

overlay gallery: WWW.BLUEBATMOBILE.NET
Blue Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Adrey
Registered Member

Mine has it if im stopping at a low speed. It was pretty bad the first 2wks but now its going away. The brakes need to brake in and also they will always squeak a little since they are metallic pads.
Adrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Dentifrice
Registered Member

Mine started doing it after the 300 miles and it's usually while braking at low speeds. Not thinking to much of it sice my motorcycle did the same thing when brand new....it just dissaperars after a while.
Dentifrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
GTR - At You Fast
Registered Member

Same thing. I noticed a light squeal at slow speeds but after 1,000 miles and a couple of hard stops from 100 mph, it has gone away.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
TRAKCAR
Registered Member

All my cars squeel as I usually just leave my track pads in when I drive on the street.

If I make a few hard stops it goes away again for a little while, I think Nissan has high performance pads in there. You won't hear them squeel when you take it to a race track where it belong ;-)

Get over it pretend that the squeeling and the other funny noises are not there (Remember the form you signed?) Or turn up the Bose...

I remember some consumer's complaint at Mercedes a few years ago where people where not likeing them. Mercedes did not get it until they realized people did not like squeeling and brake dust on the wheels. Performance of comfort at autobahn speeds, even at Mercedes.
TRAKCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
totsubo
Registered Member

The GTR Manual says Brake Squeal is normal at low speeds.
totsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
JaredPink
NGTRC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsubo View Post
The GTR Manual says Brake Squeal is normal at low speeds.
This,

The brake pad material is such that it will stop the vehicle, and performance came first here. You either get a great stopping brake pad, or a quiet one, not much for middle road here...

After a few good stops, I dont mind a bit of squeal now and then.

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!

Jared Pink - ASE Master Certified (A1-A8) & L1 Certified.
Toyota Factory Trained Master Diagnostic Technician & Hybrid Certified

Lead technician for Speed For Sale LLC (Jared@SpeedForSale.com)

--
JaredPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
tedfer
Registered Member

There are all sorts of noises that you need to get used to, including brake squeal. It's all laid out in the owners manual.
tedfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
raptrax
Registered Member

Yeah, It's normal for Brembo brakes to squeel when your drving slow and your coming to a complete stop. It's anoying, but i guess what can you do!
raptrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
gungalunge

cindered metal brake pads and hard braking power are part of the deal dudes . it comes with the game . your not running stuff like those cheepo's these are brakes that stop a car not make it a wimpy . put up with it and wear them down . buy lots of wheel cleaner too and wash them off alot ..
gungalunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
totsubo
Registered Member

For the record: I was just stating that this was normal and was documented in the manual.

I have no problem with the noise. It makes a lot of noises and sounds. All of which are normal.

Now, if it had belt squeel from the AC...
totsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
arefog

Sorry, I don't buy the "high performance brakes have to squeal" story. I had a Viper with noisy brakes, but a set of EBC pads cured the noise, generated less dust, and worked just fine. My Ferrari 575 had noisy brakes - a local Ferrari specialty shop put in a set of Porterfield pads and no more squealing. I realize high performance pads are more apt to produce some noise, I'm just saying it is not inevitable. My GT-R is a squealer. I understood it might happen before I bought it, but that doesn't mean I have to like the fact that it sounds like a 1978 pickup truck with the brake lining worn down to bare metal. I hope one of the quality aftermarket pad makers releases a set for the GT-R soon.

Dick Fogg
arefog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
twiskus
Registered Member

For those that purchased your GTR from the dealer new, you should have been furnished with a Nissan GTR Disclaimer that you must sign before delivery that shows that you understand that the car will make tranny noise, wheel noise, brake squeels and that you understand the tires and brakes will wear much quicker than your typical vehicle. All of these conditions are considered normal

Trev
808 Alberta Ave
Bellevue, NE 68005

*GTR's FOR SALE*

twiskus@woodhouse.com
twiskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #14
gschoonover
GT-R SALES POC

Default Andy, Some brake noise is normal

Andy,
This is copied directly from a 2009 NISSAN GT-R OWNER'S MANUAL (pageGTR-8):
NOISES ARE HEARD WHILE DRIVING
. The GT-R brake pads use material that provides a high amount of braking power even in high temperatures. This material can cause an intermittent screeching noise when the brakes are applied. The noise decreases as the brake pads wear.

. A screeching noise may be heard when the brake pedal is depressed:
— When driving the vehicle for the first time in the morning,
— After leaving the vehicle parked for extended periods of time, or
— When the vehicle is damp following rain showers or washing the vehicle.
These sounds are normal. The noise is caused when the brake pads absorb moisture, and the noise stops after the brake is applied several times.

. A screeching noise may also be heard when the brake pedal is depressed:
— When repeatedly applying gentle braking, especially on a curve at a low
speed, or
— When the brake rotors have circular scores with the brake temperature high.

. To maintain steady braking performance in both extremely high and low temperatures, the gap between the brake pad and caliper is larger than normal and large-size brake pads are used. When driving over a bump, a
light rattling sound may be heard from the brake pad. This does not indicate that there is a malfunction.

. When the brake disc rotor undergoes thermal expansion, a rumbling noise may be heard from the engaging portion of the wheel and the brake disc rotor. This does not indicate that there is a malfunction. The noise will cease when the temperature decreases.

. In addition to noise resulting from uneven tire wear discussed in the previous section, the GT-R tires are more rigid than a typical passenger car tire and are made from a specially formulated rubber to maximize the vehicle’s performance capabilities. These characteristics cause the GT-R tires to have
more road noise than a typical passenger car tire. This road noise is normal.

. Due to the performance capabilities and requirements of the GT-R, the sequential 6-speed dual clutch transmission is unlike a typical automatic transmission. You will likely hear mechanical sounds from the transmission,
particularly at slow speeds and at idle. This condition is normal.

By the way, Congratulations on your GT-R! Gil
QUALITY NISSAN
TEMECULA, CA
WORK: 951-676-6601 EXT 2407
EMAIL: gil@qualitynissan.com
gschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #15
Blue Batmobile
Registered Member

Hey thanks Gil! Unfortunately, the dealer I got the car from never gave me one .

Bat™

Old 09-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #16
gschoonover
GT-R SALES POC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Batmobile View Post
Hey thanks Gil! Unfortunately, the dealer I got the car from never gave me one .

Bat™
You never got an owner's manual!!! Are you kidding me?
Go here and download pdf files of owner's manual, etc.:
http://www.nissanusa.com/apps/techpubs
The following manuals and guides are available for the

2009 GT-R

Owner's Manual (PDF, 7.1M)
Comprehensive information on the operation and maintenance of your Nissan.

Navigation System Owner's Manual (PDF, 6.45M)
Details the functions and features of your vehicle's Navigation System.

Quick Reference Guide (PDF, 3.4M)
The quick and easy way to get to know your Nissan.

Towing Guide (PDF, 484K)
Towing-related information for your Nissan.

Warranty Information Booklet (PDF, 6.4M)
Includes Nissan Warranty statements, information on Nissan's Customer Care program, corrosion protection guidelines, Nissan's Security Plus Vehicle Protection Plan, tire safety information, etc. Note: The warranty information (including warranty statements) contained in this website is informational only. See your Nissan Warranty Information Booklet, or obtain one from your dealer for actual warranty which is controlling.

Service & Maintenance Guide (PDF, 12.8M)
Designed to help you make sure your Nissan receives proper and timely maintenance that is necessary.

Bluetooth® Information Center
Provides compatibility list, set up instructions, and additional specifics about Bluetooth® wireless technology and your Nissan.

Snug Kids Child Safety Program
Information on finding the right child safety seat for your Nissan.

Music Box Missing Titles Update
Label your untitled music tracks in your Music Box.
QUALITY NISSAN
TEMECULA, CA
WORK: 951-676-6601 EXT 2407
EMAIL: gil@qualitynissan.com
gschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #17
Blue Batmobile
Registered Member

lol, found it!

Bat

Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #18
nuanpi1

Has anyone had to change brake pads for the gtr?
nuanpi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
outofmoney
Registered Member

arefog,
I agree with you that it may be normal for the GTR breaks to squeal but that does not mean we have to like it. With the cost of the break jobs anyway, aftermarket seems the way to go.
Cheers
Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #20
ikeydoc
Orlampa

My brakes squeal and I have 18,000 miles.

One of the local guys who has a GT-R burnt his brakes out at Sebring. $20,000 to replace! Dealer states that you have to replace pads and rotors. The rotors cannot be machined as they consist of two components.
ikeydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #21
280Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeydoc View Post
My brakes squeal and I have 18,000 miles.

One of the local guys who has a GT-R burnt his brakes out at Sebring. $20,000 to replace! Dealer states that you have to replace pads and rotors. The rotors cannot be machined as they consist of two components.
$20,000 seems a little excessive. Sure you did not add and extra zero in error. Tranny yes, but I find that hard to swallow for brakes, although anything is possible.
280Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #22
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

Long ago (a year or more), I had heard ~$20K for replacing the tranny, and ~$5K for replacing all four sets of brake rotors and pads. But I can't confirm as I haven't had to replace anything yet (other than scheduled engine oil changes), with 14+ months, 7000 miles, and only one track day (so far) on the car. At the 12 month check (before the track day), the GT-R technician told me that everything was still in great shape, including tires, brakes, fluids, etc. It was nice to get a print-out from the tech showing the cumulative hours that the tranny fluid had been within each of five designated temp ranges (which can be used as a guide to knowing when to change the fluid).

However, after the track day, towards the end of which there was some slight but noticeable brake fade (with my rotors glowing ORANGE according to officials), I plan to upgrade the brakes when it comes time for a replacement.
Previous toys:
'81 DeLorean ('81-2005), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-'80)
CajunGodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #23
novagtr
2010 GTR Premium

2010 - 550 miles - no brake squeal to report and very minimal brake dust too!
Very pleased with the brakes on the car, no complaints.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #24
mc
"powered by HKS"

full replacement of OEM brake components can run you about 6K at MSRP and labor

my advice is go with an aftermarket combo like carbotech XP8 pads and the Stillen AP slotted or J hook rotors. all of that is still under $3K
2009 Black Obsidian GT-R #0278. Powered by HKS. Legamax Exhaust. Racepipe. Hybrid filters
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #25
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Hey guys, if you want the best of both world's (slightly better stopping power than factory along with no noise and less dust,) then you'll want to purchase a set of Carbotech 1521 Bobcat brake pads. These are Carbotech's entry level brake pad for street use, and our second best seller next to the XP12 track pads. Our clients rave about their great performance and quiet operation, not to mention they are very rotor friendly! Standard brake pads are made of iron and carbon, which form carbide. Carbide is used in metal cutting tools, so you can imagine what they do to your rotors! Carbotech uses a proprietary organic material that is lighter than semi-metallic brake dust, and also has better heat tolerance properties, making it a win-win situation.

Here are our Carbotech front brake pads:
https://www.speedforsale.com/nissang...sbf74m35clbpj0

And here are the rears:

However, you should NOT put any brake pad on your stock rotors other than the stock pad, due to the fact that the stock rotors are already bedded with the stock pad's metallic material, and therefore will not mate (bed) properly with the new brake pad compound. So, we also offer a COMPLETE street brake package which includes AP Racing J-hook rotors front and rear, Carbotech 1521 Bobcat brake pads front and rear, a set of DOT approved stainless steel braided brake lines, and 2x bottles of Motul RBF600 DOT4 brake fluid for $2820 with FREE shipping:

We are a leading Carbotech dealer for the GT-R market, and are happy to help if anyone has any questions! For those of you who track your GT-R, we recommend the Carbotech XP12 brake pads. However, due to elevated levels of noise and dust some people will swap the pads back to the Carbotech 1521 Bobcats for street use, as the material from both of these pads will interchange on the same rotor with no need to lathe/cut/turn the rotors.

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote