Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
GTR weight reduction - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
john0990
Godzilla Worshipper

Default GTR weight reduction

I'm curious about GTR owners and tuners who are exploring ways to reduce weight in the GTR.

I was surprised by recent reports that the Spec V only reduced weight by about 132 lbs (60kg) according to Edmunds.com Inside line:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=144432

Based on my experience with BMW's, significant weight savings are easily found in a few areas: exhaust, wheels, seats. But the savings seem much less significant in the GTR.

Exhaust - according to AMS Performance's website, the stock GTR exhaust is only 38.4 lbs (17.45kg). The Amuse R1 Titanium race exhaust is 19.6 lbs (8.9 kg) for a weight savings of only 18.8 lbs (8.55 kg).
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...mance.com.html

Wheels - according to AMS Performance's website the stock GTR wheels are only 25.6 lbs F and 26.9 lbs R (11.6/12.2kg). These seem very light for 20x9.5 and 20x10.5 wheels(!) The forged Rays Gram Lights don't offer much weight savings at 24.7/25.3 lbs (11.2/11.5kg).
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/Z...mance.com.html

I wonder if anyone has weighed the front seats to see if significant weight savings could be had by replacing with a lightweight reclining or racing seat. Also, can the rear seat be easily removed for a track weekend (this takes 10 minutes in my M3 and saves almost 60 lbs!)

Other items that can be easily swapped or removed(?)

John
Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
john0990
Godzilla Worshipper

These figures were reported by Edmund's on the Nismo package for the GTR... the carbon-fiber seats only save 26.4 lbs total!

Of course, while the Nismo Club Sports package might be a nicely integrated performance package thanks to the 26.4-pound weight saving represented by the twin, manually adjustable leather-upholstered carbon-fiber seats and the 11 pounds shed by the cat-back titanium exhaust system, it's in the corners where it counts. That's why we feel most GT-R owners will initially just go for the suspension package, although actually the forged wheels do their bit to reduce weight, trimming 3.5 pounds off the front wheels and 3.2 pounds from the rears. Add all the weight savings up and the 2009 Nissan GT-R Nismo is around 43 pounds lighter than the stock GT-R.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=135248

Just for comparison, the big heavy power seats in my M3 (62 lbs each) can be replaced by a street-friendly reclining Corbeau CR1 (27 lbs each) for a total savings of 70 lbs!

John
Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
mindlessoath
Registered Member

This was disscussed in the past. there is alot more that the spec-v could have done to reduce weight, but it wouldnt be road legal anymore.

seats are above 40lbs each. the spec-v uses adjustable seats which are lighter but not as light as they can get in there non adjustable form.

wheels are very strong and 20"'s they can be reduced in size for weight savings too, and better sticker tire selection.

exhaust can be reduced in weight even more than a spec-v exhaust, but then you get louder sound that you may not want, plus they have regulations for sound and smog, so it has to stay somewhat like that, even tho they made it Ti.

they didnt really put much carbon fiber for weght reduction, its more for looks.

doign carbon fiber is really a last resourt to reduce weight, thats almost nitpicking, and you have to make everything possible out of CF to make any differnce.

everything thats steel that can be replaced with aluminum, like the suspension, which if you replace with alum coilovers it will be ligheter and stiffer for performance. brakes can be changed to carbon ceramics like the spec-v for extra advantage too, but the costs of all this stuff is high.

chassis modifications are the most major thing at weight reduction for this car. but no one has done so yet. maybe stillen will. they also have poly windows in development (call stillen asap to get a set cause they are limited time offer thing).
Latest post: on February 25, 2010, 8:10 pm
Submit Stories, News, Images, Events, etc... by email
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
john0990
Godzilla Worshipper

I'm just wondering... where is all the GTR's weight at? Yes, I know it's AWD but it's still a big boy at 3800+ lbs! And how can one - relatively cheaply and easily - reduce some of this weight... without going too crazy (let's keep the A/C, carpet and sound deadening!)

Lightweight battery perhaps?

I agree carbon fiber pieces get expensive and you have to replace big pieces to have any kind of real weight savings. For example, my M3's aluminum hood versus a 100% carbon fiber hood is a savings of only about 5 lbs!

Does the GTR come with sunroof? I didn't see it in the list of standard features. This typically would add around 40 lbs to the weight of a car, at the highest (worst) point of the car...

John
Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
mindlessoath
Registered Member

its mostly the engine and trans unit (as a whole). its sectioned above each axel to take most of the weight and balance in a way that makes it fast without fluff so to say.
no sun roof on the R35, its reinforced so its very solid and strong. a carbon roof may not be a good idea to replace but it proably wont hurt it.

no option for it tho.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
cheesewz
Registered Member

I reduced the weight in my GT-R by losing 40 pounds from my fat arse. I feel great, but can't say I notice any difference in performance of the car
cheesewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
CajunGodzilla
Registered Member

There is one weight saving approach that ALSO SAVES $$$: Get the base model (instead of the Premium model). It avoids the weight of the heated seats and the side curtain airbags PLUS it saves $2K+ (that you can invest in other weight savings).
Previous toys:
'81 DeLorean ('81-2005), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-'80)
CajunGodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
mindlessoath
Registered Member

Just replace the wheels and tires go lower some fittments in 18 will work but suggest coilovers and anti roll bars so nothing bottoms out.

Lighter seats will help and u have choice of adjustable or even lighter stationary carbon seats.

Ti exhaust will add slightly more power and sound and will reduce the weight.

Replace the stock rotors when yours start to crack with a cheaper and better alternative like ap racing slotted rotors. They last longer for street or track too.

Can't go wrong with this. I have seen some go with the light weight zeal aluminum coilovers for even lower weight. You could also get ceramic wheel bearings which will help too but some see little advantage in them. Magic beans they say.

Get a password:jdm rear wing for almost stock design, lighter weight, stronger and more down force. The stock wing is heavy for what it is.

You can't get much lighter than this without major changes and even more cash.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
john0990
Godzilla Worshipper

Default seat weight

I just watched the Stillen GTR build video at gtrblog.com and there was a technician on the video saying the stock seats are 65 lbs (29.5kg) each. So there is a lot of weight to be saved here... a good aftermarket, streetable reclining seat can be around 27 lbs (12.3kg). So replace both seats and you just shaved 76 lbs (34 kg).

An interesting note, the technician noted there are "airbags" built into the seats... is this correct? Maybe he was referring to a lumbar support?

John
Old 04-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

we have 2 airbag (may be JDM only)or 6 air bag GTR, 6 airbag weight 10 kg more.
i guess Stillen GTR come with 6 airbag^^
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
Alcit
Registered Member

Talking Weight Savings

Nice response cheesewz. I need to follow your example.
Alcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

The stock hood is heavy. Also, going to a catless Y-pipe will save some weight while giving a bit of a power gain at the same time. Alcon lightweight rotors are a good way to drop some rotating mass, which can be a killer.

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Hi Jeremy, what's the weight differents between Saibon and Stock alloy hood? front and rear?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Hey Norman, it's been a while since we spoke! I hope all is well.

To be honest, we've never weighed the two. However, you can obviously tell every time you lift your hood that it is a chunk of weight!

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Yes! the "alloy" hood is heavy^^:

sorry for "disconnect" , have to work very hard to resist the eco down.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

From Mine's webside~http://www.mines-wave.com/JP/CATALOG...GT-R_E.htm#ACF

Front hood~

Weight
Mine's Normal
5.2kg 12.1kg

Oops! our alloy hood so~heavy!