Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
I Thought Nissan put in "safeguards" against excessive markups? - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
rcalcaide
Registered Member

Default I Thought Nissan put in "safeguards" against excessive markups?

Hi guys,

Im new here. I currently drive a 911 turbo. And now I want something new. THE GT-R. I live in Connecticut. I went on to the Nisssan GTR website and printed a list of all the dealers in a 50 mile radius of my address. I called each one of them. Some dealers had as high as 11 allocations and as low as 2. Then I'd ask each one of them the million dollar question.... "how much are you asking for the GT-R over MSRP? Ive gotten responses of 10k, 20k, 25k, and even 40k over msrp. ARE you kidding?!?!! And each dealer acted like they were the only ones to be getting the car. 50 dealers! There isnt even 5 Porsche dealers in a fifty mile radius of my address. I know this car is hot and limited. but come on.... its all marketing hype. Im willing to pay 5k over MSRP but nothing more. In this day and age, who pays over MSRP let alone MSRP? Can anyone suggest a dealer I can contact in my area? I may just have to "drive" my Porsche a little longer..
rcalcaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:36 AM   #2
Ev0H8t3r
GOTZIRA

hey man welcome, and yeah I hear ya!

Well, you can get on the list for the 2010 list with $5K deposit for MSRP, our if you need it now, there are a few dealers out there for $5K over MSRP, but they are scattered across the USA...But its worth the savings and not giving these bastards there $25K mark up...depending on how bad you want the car...2010 the Spec V is coming to the states and it will be around $85K...

My dad wanted me to get one this summer while I visit from the dealer near my grandparents house, where we will be for a family vacation...those bastards siad to me when I called th edealer, yeah we are the only ones in the state getting this car and its a $25K markup, we will get 9 and have sold 0 so far...I laughed at him...
Gotzira
-Kaizen Tuning LLC (978) 266-9900
Sales@Kaizentuning.com
-Kaizen Tuning LLC
www.kaizentuning.com
Ev0H8t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
davett
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalcaide View Post
Hi guys,

Im new here. I currently drive a 911 turbo. And now I want something new. THE GT-R. I live in Connecticut. I went on to the Nisssan GTR website and printed a list of all the dealers in a 50 mile radius of my address. I called each one of them. Some dealers had as high as 11 allocations and as low as 2. Then I'd ask each one of them the million dollar question.... "how much are you asking for the GT-R over MSRP? Ive gotten responses of 10k, 20k, 25k, and even 40k over msrp. ARE you kidding?!?!! And each dealer acted like they were the only ones to be getting the car. 50 dealers! There isnt even 5 Porsche dealers in a fifty mile radius of my address. I know this car is hot and limited. but come on.... its all marketing hype. Im willing to pay 5k over MSRP but nothing more. In this day and age, who pays over MSRP let alone MSRP? Can anyone suggest a dealer I can contact in my area? I may just have to "drive" my Porsche a little longer..
Hi,
I'm in MA and I called around last weekend (same as you) and I found a open allocation for $5k over in NH and I put my order in on a Premium Model,White/Blk. The car is scheduled to be here in June/July. I think You might have to try out of state but there are dealers willing to be more reasonable. Good luck and I'm a also a Porsche owner(997 turbo ) and I'm keeping both.
davett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Ev0H8t3r
GOTZIRA

yeah $5K seems to be the norm, but I believe $7K MSRP is about the average.

I never bought a highe end performance car here in the states, so this is all new to me...Before knowing the final verdict of the GTR coming to the USA, I was looking at the M5, M3 and Audi RS4, but all of them are priced at invoice with their diplomatic sales department...So I was vey pleased and had no issues...So when I finally was able to start look around at the GTR I was really schocked...but I really cant blame the dealers, but over $10K of MSRP is just crazy! I was really disapointed that the Nissan Diplomatic sales is not offering the GTR at this time...but the guy emailed me again and said he is trying hard for the 2010 yr.
Gotzira
Sales@Kaizentuning.com
-Kaizen Tuning LLC
www.kaizentuning.com
Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
GT-RFan35
Registered Member

Yea i have found a GT-R for 5k over msrp which isnt too bad. The guy said $84,000 with tax.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
rcalcaide
Registered Member

Hi Davett,

I see your posts on 6speedonline. Can you tell me the name of the Dealer you used?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
GODZILLA_GTR
Registered Member

welcome aboard rcalcaide. i also thought the same regarding nissan putting a safeguard on markups. that's why I even got so interested in the GTR. under 80k out the door for this bad boy.... shoot i'm in! but now the truth comes out and i know everyone hears this from me by now. but i called all of california and neveda, and the best deal i found that still has allocations available is 10k premium. i'm still debating till this day. GL on your find bro. keep calling. theres some members that found it at 5k premium in GA. PM me if you want the info.
GODZILLA_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
rcalcaide
Registered Member

guys... the best Ive found so far is 8k over MSRP. Ive called now close to 80 dealers in a 200 mile radius of my address. it is amazing the amount of schmucks that I have to deal with. Regular salesman who arent supposed to handle GT-R transactions are trying to take deposits from me. "give me 10k and when they come in you'll be the first to get it." And telling me I cant order it to my color and options. just what Nissan allocates to them. How can Nissan expect there dealers who sell a million sentras to middle class people, all of a sudden expect them to sell a premium sports car to more of a financially sound buyer? And to ask these outrageous markups? just amazing......
Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Ev0H8t3r
GOTZIRA

Default man oh man

i heear ya bro!

Quote:
guys... the best Ive found so far is 8k over MSRP. Ive called now close to 80 dealers in a 200 mile radius of my address. it is amazing the amount of schmucks that I have to deal with. Regular salesman who arent supposed to handle GT-R transactions are trying to take deposits from me. "give me 10k and when they come in you'll be the first to get it." And telling me I cant order it to my color and options. just what Nissan allocates to them. How can Nissan expect there dealers who sell a million sentras to middle class people, all of a sudden expect them to sell a premium sports car to more of a financially sound buyer? And to ask these outrageous markups? just amazing......
Gotzira
Sales@Kaizentuning.com
-Kaizen Tuning LLC
www.kaizentuning.com
Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
GODZILLA_GTR
Registered Member

damn... this whole thread is what i went through and still going through... all in a nut shell. but a lot of these nissan dealers really sux. Dont waste your time talking to regular sales peeps. Just ask for the GM. Even though most of them are not much help either, but they are the ones who suppose to handle the GTR pre-orders and sales. once again GL and keep searching.
GODZILLA_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
Ev0H8t3r
GOTZIRA

At this rate it is cheaper to buy a JDM R-35 and ship it over back to the states!
Gotzira
Sales@Kaizentuning.com
-Kaizen Tuning LLC
www.kaizentuning.com
Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #12
ATL-Porsche
Registered Member

Hey Dave, good to see you here

rcalcaide: Going out of state is not a bad idea. Some dealers are sold out, and others have a few left over and if you start with the neighboring states and start calling, you can definitely find a deal for 5K over MSRP.

Also the only safeguards are reprecussions after a dealer gouges customers. They can't do anything about it up front though to prevent dealers from asking too much over sticker.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #13
rcalcaide
Registered Member

Yeah... Ive started to look in NY, NJ, and RI. But still... how about those who want this car in those states? There looking in my state, and Im looking in there state.ahahahahaah.... it just cancels each other out! Im keeping my fingers crossed on one that might be 5 to 7k msrp. The GM is supposed to call me back.

This is a matter of principal, I just cant say "here take any extra 5k that I worked very hard for... for something that theorhetically should be sold at MSRP!!!"
Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
AdamSupra
All Access Motorsports

After much though, I am waiting for the Spec V version. By then there will be a lot of companies with parts for this beast.

1992 Lexus SC300 (soarer) BPU - Daily Driver & drift machine
1995 Toyota Supra Hardtop BPU
"All Access Motorsports"
*Link deleted for advertising violation*
AdamSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
Phoenix
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah... Ive started to look in NY, NJ, and RI. But still... how about those who want this car in those states? There looking in my state, and Im looking in there state.ahahahahaah.... it just cancels each other out! Im keeping my fingers crossed on one that might be 5 to 7k msrp. The GM is supposed to call me back.

This is a matter of principal, I just cant say "here take any extra 5k that I worked very hard for... for something that theorhetically should be sold at MSRP!!!"
I called Nissan America Headquarters to complain about the price gouging in Scottsdale at Pinnacle Nissan, asking $100,000. They stated there is nothing that can be done. They are independently owned dealerships following market forces. They can only suggest MSRP.

The same thing happened with the PT cruiser of all cars. A $14,000 vehicle asking $7,000 over MSRP when it was first released.

It is the price for novelty and having a car that you will likely never see more than one at the same time in a given community. So if you want to be stroked, fork over the cash.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
GT-RFan35
Registered Member

Well apparently nothing can be done dealers just want to make more money!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
nemithsells

if you wanna play...u gotta pay
nemithsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #18
nemithsells

capitalism nuttin wrong to pay for play
nemithsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
avanti5010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I called Nissan America Headquarters to complain about the price gouging in Scottsdale at Pinnacle Nissan, asking $100,000. They stated there is nothing that can be done. They are independently owned dealerships following market forces. They can only suggest MSRP.

The same thing happened with the PT cruiser of all cars. A $14,000 vehicle asking $7,000 over MSRP when it was first released.

It is the price for novelty and having a car that you will likely never see more than one at the same time in a given community. So if you want to be stroked, fork over the cash.

Pinnacle Nissan Infiniti are crooks. Watch out for them.
avanti5010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 AM   #20
pjgtrpower
Registered Member

Default Nissan Stealer, Ripped Off

Nissan is just doing what they said they wouldn't do, Ripped Off
pjgtrpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #21
g35coupster
Registered Member

Arn't the dealers the one with the mark ups? Its not set by Nissan is it? I thought it was based on area that you lived in how much a car could be valued at. All about supply and demand.
g35coupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #22
GODZILLA_GTR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35coupster View Post
Arn't the dealers the one with the mark ups? Its not set by Nissan is it? I thought it was based on area that you lived in how much a car could be valued at. All about supply and demand.
yups... the greedy dealers are the one that is marking up the GTR... not Nissan. Also true about supply and demand.... higher populated areas are seeing the high mark ups.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #23
espline6

The dealers I spoke to say that because nissan made them purchase all the new equipment to service the gtr they need to mark them up. If thats the case they are trying to pay for the equipment in the first year. I don't blame them but they are looking short term verses all the vehicles they might service if the sold more. One of the dealers I talked to has 6 and hasn't sold one. They are asking 25k over.
espline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #24
beemaze
Registered Member

I'm hoping (hope is the key word here) that after a few months, and all the hype, with a bad economy, the markup will die down towards the end of the year. Patience is a virtue.
09 Tesla Roadster - build date 1/24/09
beemaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #25
pjgtrpower
Registered Member

nissan manhattan want 110g plus taxs not a cents less, nissan know about this crazy mark up.
pjgtrpower is offline   Reply With Quote