Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
2012 Specs to earlier models? - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
ted99
Registered Member

Default 2012 Specs to earlier models?

One wonders how many of the new aspects of the 2012 are attainable on the earlier cars with updates to the ECU and suspension control modules? I'd pay Nissan for that, if it were available. Looks like it would cost about $30K to trade my '09 for a '12, and that's a little too steep. Wait until the warranty runs out and I could equal or better the performance for half the cost in aftermarket parts. I notice the tires are different from the Spec V tires, also. The Tire Rack doesn't have them listed, yet; but it does have the Spec V tires.
ted99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
ATLsupra
NGTRC Sponsor

If I remember correctly, new 2012 tires are primary new Dunlop run flat tires now. The option to upgrade some parts from CBA to DBA was available in Japan, but I don't think it will be available in the US. Cost wise, it's probably best to upgrade to aftermarket parts than getting from Nissan as you mentioned.

Chinchi
SpeedForSale.com Parts Manager
Telephone: 770-777-4774
---
ATLsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
ted99
Registered Member

Yes, the '12 tires are reported to be Dunlop run flat SP Sport Maxx 600 DSST, while the Spec V's were Bridgestone. I read that both Bridgestone and Dunlop have made many improvements to their run flat technology to overcome some of the compromises. The early reports of ordinary people's experience with the '12 is that the ride is improved (to the extent that one does not feel the need to immediately select comfort mode on starting the car). It also has better turn-in, less understeer, and better handling. I wonder how much of that is due to the revised suspension settings versus the "improved" run-flat technology?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
ted99
Registered Member

Aftermarket hardware will always be less expensive than factory, but I'm wondering about Dealer computer reflashes to the '12 specs. For instance, how much of the extra power is due to ECU remaping vs actual changes to the hard parts? The suspension reportedly has revised anchor points and possibly revised anti-roll bars, but how much of the '12's suspension ride is due to revisions in the computer software for the shocks? As I understand it, a suspension has to be tuned for the different sidewall springing characteristics of run flat tires. Are the new Dunlop run flats sufficently different to require different computer shock settings?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
09-TITANIUM
Performance Member

ted99 --

Are you running Texas Mile in Goliad this month?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
ted99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09-TITANIUM View Post
ted99 --

Are you running Texas Mile in Goliad this month?
No--no changes to the car, so I wouldn't expect any different result. Stab and steer straight to 170 mph loses it's novelty after a few times. The number of cars/motorcycles there on Sat really limits runs and waiting in line is a pain! if you are among the first batch of cars in line, you'll get three runs in morning and 2 in afternoon. Reportedly, Fri and Sun are less crowded. It's possible to drive down in the morning and back that eve for a no motel run--only takes about 2 hrs to get there from Houston.

I'm running at Grand Sport this Sat with the Lotus Club, and on the 17th with the combined Z and national GT-R group. Then the M-B club autocross in April. I'll need new tires after that!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
09-TITANIUM
Performance Member

Thanks for the update.

btw: The next Houston GTR meet will be Saturday, April 2. Full details will be released soon.