SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #26
daytonaman675
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBlackwell View Post
I agree 100%...although maybe not with that exact method. I believe that with proper training an 18-21 year old has the ability to drive a higher horsepower car than 200-250. I feel there should be license steps like you are saying, with the more advanced ones taking place at a road course and/or auto cross that shows the driver knows how to handle a car on 'the edge'. This license would not be mandatory, but only for drivers OF ANY AGE wanting a car with more than 'X' amount of power/weight ratio. I think this would reduce accidents in high HP cars drastically.
Im with you right up to the limiting what car you can have with a standard Lic. I think it should be something you can do if you want a cheaper insurance rate instead of an 8 hour defensive driving course you could knock out 8 hours of "Advanced Car Control" or some such animal and have the same if not more knocked off for being a more experienced driver. (like 8 hours = $400 knocked off your 6 month premium or something up to a max of $1200)

Last edited by daytonaman675; 11-13-2008 at 12:39 AM..
daytonaman675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:10 AM   #27
GT-RFan35
Registered Member

i'm not getting a gtr due to stupid mark ups but who cares if I had one. What difference does it make to you? Anyways I'll probably be getting an e46 m3 and doing some modifications or an e92 M3
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #28
daytonaman675
Registered Member

To the 16 year old who thinks were all a bunch of know it alls who just wanna F up your day.

WE ARE, but we would also hate to see you wind up in the hospital or worse put someone else there.

Better idea then a GTR get your dad to buy you a driving school gift certificate THEY ROCK and I promise you will come out knowing double what you went in with and a smile to boot.

Last edited by daytonaman675; 11-13-2008 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: content
daytonaman675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #29
threepointo
Registered Member

My head is spinning! What is the difference in him getting a GTR or his dad buying him a honda civic and giving him the money to ramp it up to 400 or 500 hp????????????????? The non driving experience still plays a roll here no matter what he decides to drive. So why beat him down about it?

Kid I was in your shoes once (meaning I was 16 at one time too) Only difference is that my dad was not around to get me a car like that. My advice to you is to make sure you get your dad to sign you up for performance driving school to help enhance your skills and respect for the car. Especially high HP cars!

When I got my license at 16 I almost lost it by the time I was 16.5! and I didn't need a GTR to do that! I did it in the same Dastun 510 that had about 170whp back then that that I currently drive with 380whp now! It is just the plain and simple fact that when you are young you take waaaaaay more risks! That is why insurance is set up the way that it is! I will be honest and tell you that the only thing that calmed down my driving was when I finally got a driving job at the age of 24! Once my license became my meal ticket I calmed wayyyyy down. So don't listen to people who probably have similar backrounds and just have forgotten that they were once out there in those streets doing the same thing that these youngsters are out here doing today! I am not saying all of you did but some of you did and you know it.

If I can give you any positive advice. Look into a professional drivers school at one of your local car tracks if you have one. When I look back there are things I did back then that I would never consider doing now and that just comes with age, a daily dosage of common sense, and wisdom!
threepointo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #30
kamikazedrive
Banned

edited: spam post
kamikazedrive is offline   Reply With Quote