SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #76
discodan
Registered 911 Terminator

Westhill21,

From what I can see that is correct the stains appear to be under a clear coat of some sort. Have you tried a wheel polish and seal system? There are a few on the market, I think you can find @ autogeek.net Basically it'll work like a a normal polish/seal setup but I am worried about how abrasive you will need for these stains. Whatever you do, do NOT let them sandblast your wheels!

Good luck man.

Sold MB SLK55, previous life... R32 Skyline GTR with T78 single turbo conversion, OS Giken head and 720bhp.

Oh no, what have I done.... will I not learn... R35 now with Exhaust and intake!
discodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #77
westhill21

Update:

So in order to expedite a response the guys over at the Nissan dealership have now gone the extra mile and scanned the net to see if they could find someone with a similar issue. Funny thing is they came across this post in their search and are now using the pics I uploaded to help communicate through the Nissan channels. Impressive and I hope it helps to find a resolution to the issue.

I will keep you all updated. Glad to see the amount of support I am getting from Nissan.

If ANYONE experiences the same issue or could have an idea what may be causing this it would be a great help.
westhill21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #78
caloia
Registered Member

I have read all the posts above. It seems that some of us would like to try the Zaino products and some of us have with great results.

Here is my experience so far:

I have a black, and I repeat, black GT-R. I ordered the Z-5, Z-2, and the Z-6 products and their applicator pads.

The Z-5 is recommended for black or dark colored cars. It is supposed to minimize swirl marks and fine scratches that are more apparent on dark colors. I applied three coats of Z-5 using the ZFX system today and see little difference with regard to swirl marks and fine scratches. The shine is nice but to my eyes not much better than Mother's pure Carnuba Wax. I called the Zaino help number and asked whether to wet their applicator to make application easier. I was told to lightly spray their applicator with Z-6 before adding Z-5 to their applicator pad. This was a good suggestion as application was smoother and more consistent. I also asked whether to use a circular motion when applying Z-5 and Z-2 and was told to use circular motion first and then use back and forth stokes from bumper to bumper on upper surfaces (hood, roof, trunk, etc.) and up and down strokes on vertical surfaces (doors, etc.). I buffed after each application. After each application of Z-5 and before applying the next coat of Z-5 I applied and buffed with Z-6. This is twelve trips around the car ((Z-5/buff, Z-6/buff) x 3). All applications were done in the shade allowing ample drying time between Z-5 coats and not alowing Z-6 to dry to a haze.

At this point the results show that swirl marks might be minimized to some degree. However, most disappointing is the fact that under low lighting I can see the application strokes (especially the ones that are back and forth and up and down). Remember I followed the advice to start with circular motion and end up with back/forth, up/down.

Tomorrow I will apply Z-2 which is the higher gloss ("wet look") polish. Z-2, according to the Zaino web site, is all you need unless you have a dark colored car that shows swirl marks and fine scratches. Remember, I have a black car so that is why I started with Z-5.

I will post the final results tomorrow. I plan on applying three coats of Z-2 with in-between applications of Z-6 ending up with Z6. The same procedure I used with Z-5.

The average temperature today during application of Z-5 was about 80 degrees with low humidity.

I must stress that my observations are with regard to using Zaino products with a black car. I doubt that GT-R owners with colors other than black would notice my observations. The purpose of this post is mainly to alert owners of black cars of my experience.

It's a good thing we're not buying Model T's where "You can have any color you want as long as it's BLACK".
caloia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #79
caloia
Registered Member

In my prior post I described the first part of the Zaino process of applying Z-5.

Well I have applied three coats of Z-2 with Z-6 in between coats ending up with Z-6. The car looks great!
However, I cannot say that the final results did much to reduce minor scratches.

Compared to two coats of Mother's Pure Carnuba Wax, the Zaino sytem with multiples coats shows little difference, if any. Perhaps the reason is the quality of the paint on the GT-R to begin with.

Bottom line is that I think that most modern day polishes and waxes do a great job. The question then becomes one of durability.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #80
discodan

Caloia,

Great couple of posts very informative. I personally have not used the Z2/5 before, as in the past I have used Auto Glym with great results. I have had great success with the Zaino thus far and will be trying out the show car polish system when its get a lot colder here (in Abu Dhabi it is over 130 degrees and 100% humidity until late at night!!!)

The quality of paint on the GTR is not good at all. In fact when I look closely at my company's fleet (a range of Nissan Tiida's and Altima's) the quality of paint looks the same - it certainly is not that of the quality of paint found on Infinity's.

Nonetheless, I didn't buy it for great build quality or paint (I have German cars before and they are more reliable for those things)!!!!

Cheers,

Daniel.

Sold MB SLK55, previous life... R32 Skyline GTR with T78 single turbo conversion, OS Giken head and 720bhp.

Oh no, what have I done.... will I not learn... R35 now with Exhaust and intake!
Old 08-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #81
caloia
Registered Member

Hey discodan (Daniel),

I appreciate your reply, but one thing really caught my eye: Is it really 130 degrees in Abu Dhabi or did you mean to say 103 degrees? Death Valley in the U.S. can approach 120 degrees or more and no one could walk around in that dry heat for more than a few hours at most? Just curious...

We checked your local forecast for tomorrow and it said around 104 degrees...
Old 08-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #82
discodan

Hey Caloia....

I have to be careful how to word this response.., ..., let's just say that for some reasons the actual reported temperatures are a little less than what is listed on the WMO. For example today at one of our sites the temp at around 12:30 was about 48/49 degrees C and humidity was 95%.

So yeah I guess 130 is a bit of an exaggeration but let me tell you when its about 1:30 and that humidity its too hot to think about washing cars.

I typically wait until about 8:30pm when its about 33 -34 degress and about 60% humidity. Trust there's more sweat/water on me than the car!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #83
caloia
Registered Member

Disodan,

I totally believe everything you're saying. I was just wondering if you had misstyped the last two digits: 130 vs 103. When it's 90 F degrees with high humidity here in NY I don't feel like cleaning the car either.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:37 PM   #84
cmd51230
Registered Member

The GT-R's paint is NOWHERE near as good as any of the factory paint jobs I've had on my BMW's. For one, it's certainly not as durable. I already have a small chip on top of the roof that has chipped in a manner that I never thought possible...

Also, caloia is definitely right... one of the biggest draws of Zaino is its durability. If you consistently use a wash that will NOT strip wax, a good 2-3 layer application of Zaino should easily last you an entire year. This has been proven for 5 years straight with my previous BMW through several triple digit Texas summers.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #85
OdyOwnage
Japanese Muscle Car

Wait, wait, Korean & Chinese? SWEET!

I am going for the Korean & Vietnamese combo (I'm Korean).

Nice GT-R though!

1995 Toyota Supra / 2JZGE-T / 5 speed / 301 RWHP @ 8 LBS
OdyOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #86
novagtr
2010 GTR Premium

I just got my 2010 GTR and recently started posting on the forum.
As other's have stated, the Zaino products have done me good for the past couple of years.
I use the Zaino car wash and the spray on wax.
The wax/polish is as simple as the name sounds - spray on, let dry, then watch the shine!
Yes, the paint on the GTR is not that great, but most products will only help bring out the shine.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #87
westhill21

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhill21 View Post
Update:

So in order to expedite a response the guys over at the Nissan dealership have now gone the extra mile and scanned the net to see if they could find someone with a similar issue. Funny thing is they came across this post in their search and are now using the pics I uploaded to help communicate through the Nissan channels. Impressive and I hope it helps to find a resolution to the issue.

I will keep you all updated. Glad to see the amount of support I am getting from Nissan.

If ANYONE experiences the same issue or could have an idea what may be causing this it would be a great help.
Update: So I finally heard back from the Nissan dealership. The response I am getting now is that is not their problem. Very disappointed with this as I was thinking that they would take care of what happened at their CERTIFIED GTR NISSAN dealership. I HAVE TO go to a certified GTR dealer in order to get the car checked out and serviced and the dealership openly admits to using tire dressing when even in the manual it says not to. Taking it up with Nissan corporate and since I now cannot trust taking the car in for service I need to visually record everything before going in. If anyone knows me I am a maniac about keeping this car clean and avoiding ANYTHING that could cause even a slight swirl so these markings on the rims are driving me insane. Will let you all know what Nissan corporate responds with.
westhill21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #88
discodan

Benson/cmd...

What success have you had cleaning the synthetic suede and leather on the seats? I tried use my typical Meg's cleaner/conditioner just recently and the results were not great.

I'm wondering if a synthetic 'application' cleaner spray will be best... any recommendations?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #89
cmd51230
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodan View Post
Benson/cmd...

What success have you had cleaning the synthetic suede and leather on the seats? I tried use my typical Meg's cleaner/conditioner just recently and the results were not great.

I'm wondering if a synthetic 'application' cleaner spray will be best... any recommendations?
I've always used 303 Aerospace Protectant on most plastic/synthetic/leather interior surfaces. Unlike that crap Armorall stuff, 303 is actually absorbed into the material... really good stuff:

http://www.303products.com/

Now, if you're looking for some hardcore, deep cleaning/restoring products for leather, nothing beats leatherique: http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #90
discodan

cmd,

Have you used the 303 on the GTR interior yet? I've actually just ordered some to clean up some of the plastic parts in the engine bay so I'd be able to try it if you can recommend.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #91
cmd51230
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodan View Post
cmd,

Have you used the 303 on the GTR interior yet? I've actually just ordered some to clean up some of the plastic parts in the engine bay so I'd be able to try it if you can recommend.
discodan,

Haven't used it on my GT-R interior yet, but I used it religiously on all of my BMW interiors, and it has worked flawlessly. When I sold my previous BMW, the buyer couldn't tell it was 5 years old...
Old 10-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #92
bensonwrx
Registered Member

Alright, I got the before and after pics of my Subie, after being Zaino treated. Anyone cares to see them?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #93
cirstihug

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.
cirstihug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #94
cmd51230
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonwrx View Post
Alright, I got the before and after pics of my Subie, after being Zaino treated. Anyone cares to see them?
YES!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #95
D11

Try WD-40...you'd be amazed how strong of a degreaser it is. I had some bad road tar stains on the inside of my CLS 550 wheels, somebody suggested WD-40 and it came right off with no effort. Let me know it it worked for you.
D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #96
D11

Some things I've used or heard about and would welcome any feedback:

Jeff Bodine's Frenzy Wax - goes on and off easily and does not stain any plastics or rubber molding. Definitely the best synthetic wax I've used. Can put on your wheels and will cause the minimal breakdust that the GT-R's produce to blow right off

Turtle Wax Ice - easy to apply, not that impressed with the results, no protection, just a glossy look to black

Turtle Wax Black Box - messy and time consuming, but for fellow black GT-R owners like myself trying to minimize swirl marks or spider web effect within the paint, this is the best product I've seen. Makes car look showroom quality.

Jetseal 109 - never tried, but the detailers at Luxury4Play.com say its top shelf

Curious to hear if any one else has tried any of these products.
D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #97
serotonin4

any suggestions on how to keep the tail pipes clean?
i just puchased a 2009 super silver GTR i tested out the 2009 and 2010 did not notice any major differences in appearance or performance since the 2010 was 85K and i got this for 75K i thought it was a good deal
serotonin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #98
discodan

Congrats on the new purchase serotonin4 enjoy your new baby!

For the tail pipes I currently use Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner spray and spray them during my wash process (I actually do this during a foaming of the car I spray all trims inc badges, side and front lips and tail pipes). I then agitate the pipes with a small detailing brushes and then focus the high pressure hose on them when rinsing. After this a good wipe with a work towel should keep them pretty clean.

After this you need a metal polish if you want to get them to that sparkling state. I use Brilliant Metal Polish for this.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #99
lemaratee
Registered Member

Default Abu dhabi police car

Gt-r 2010
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #100
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

hoho.... hard to out run these.....
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote