Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
Show, Go, or Show and Go, That is the question. - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
caloia
Registered Member

Default Show, Go, or Show and Go, That is the question.

Some like the performance. Some like the styling. Some like the creature comforts. The GT-R has it all on a very high level. And some might disagree.

I am curious as to whether any of our members have taken their car (meaning GT-R) to car shows. In the U.S. most of the car shows I have attended are geared toward American classic (restored or resto-mods) and muscle cars. A few of the shows I have attended have classes for "import" and "euro".

I purchased my 2009 new in June, 2009 and have since then entered eight shows and have been awarded seven trophies/plaques. The one show at which I received nothing was in the class of "New Cars" and lost to a 2005 Dodge Ram. On average the number of entries at the shows, regardless of class, has been around 100 cars. Most of my car's awards have been "Top 15", "Top 20", "Top 25", and "Club Choice". Don't look for "People's Choice" because each entrant gets a ballot. Even if the "public" can vote, it isn't apparent and so they don't.

Given the emphasis (American cars), I think my GT-R has done remarkably well. Even if there is no apparent category to place it in, the judge's seem to find a way to give it an award (It's difficult to ignore).

Rewards aside. The main reason I attend these shows is because, after attending the first show out of curiosity, I found that it was a crowd pleaser and attention grabber (no not me, the car). The younger people, male and female, knew as much as I did about the Skyline history and in many cases more. As the age increases a lot less is known about the car (not in all cases) but the questions about what it is and its performance abound. My answers astound them. No matter the age of the spectator nor the knowledge the most common utterance is "It's beautiful.".

I have been told that people were taking cell phone photos of the car and sending them to friends who later showed up just to see the car. Owners of Corvettes at some of the shows have even approached me to talk about the car and discuss similarities and differences. I appreciate Corvettes (and other high performance cars) and they appreciate the GT-R.

Showing your GT-R is a nice venue for meeting people, people who have never seen one and appreciate the opportunity. The people you meet don't become long lasting friends, but comradic aquaintences with a common interest, the appreciation of cars of all descriptions.

So, get out of bed, hit the highway, and attend a car show.
You'll have a lot of fun! Just don't enter the same show as I (yes, I do have a competitive spirit).

As for the "Go" part I haven't done that yet, but perhaps in the future. Mine is a completely stock Premium with the IPOD, mats, etc (Is that called the "VVIP Edition?)". I did recently install the auxilliary input in order to use my Microsoft 30GB Zune (I'm not a Steve Jobs/Apple zealot). Don't mean to offend any of you Apple people.

Any comments or question are welcome.
caloia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
discodan
Registered 911 Terminator

Interesting comments. There are not too many show's over here, every Friday night at the Adnoc near Spinneys is a car show in Abu Dhabi... Rinspeed Porsches, Mansoury Ferrari's, Lambo's etc etc.

I find a lot of attention come from the younger, younger crowd. The day I picked up the car a young boy (maybe 10) shook my hand.

PS The VVIP editions are those first delivered by Nissan worldwide to the Middle East. They are a US spec and they are signified by the Gold trim pieces found inside and come with a signed letter from the Chief Engineer guy... can't remember his name from Nissan!

Cheers.

Sold MB SLK55, previous life... R32 Skyline GTR with T78 single turbo conversion, OS Giken head and 720bhp.

Oh no, what have I done.... will I not learn... R35 now with Exhaust and intake!
discodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
NJNYCGTR
Registered Member

I've never entered any car I've had (corvette and mustangs, slight mods for appearance and performance), but it sounds like it could be fun to get into. I brought my car to a car show thats held every Friday in Somerville, NJ, but all the reserved parking spaces are for classic American cars only. I wound up parking 2 blocks away from the show cars. I was recently at corvette's at Carlisle this past weekend, made me miss my vette for nostalgic reasons. What's the best way to get into showing the GTR? I'll have to prep it a little more as I haven't zaino'd the car yet.
NJNYCGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
nickbegonja55
Registered Member

best way to showcase your GTR is drive it around.

Objects in mirror are disappearing...
nickbegonja55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
caloia
Registered Member

Reply to nickbegonia55:

I drive mine around almost every day if it's not raining, and yes, it's a good way to showcase. People ask me to roll my windows down to ask questions, passenger guys hang out the rear windows of cars to take pictures. Guys follow me into parking lots to ask questions or give compliments. People drive along side, move to the back, move to the front to get a good look at the car (this part can be dangerous). People, young, old, and in between are fascinated.

One reason to show the car is to find out what people think in comparison to other cars. No matter what type of car. At most car shows I have attended they come in groups and inspect every inch. It's sometimes amuzing to see the different looks on their faces and their comments. Yesterday there was a right-hand grey R34 at the show. The car got little attention. Guess what car got almost all the attention. There was also a black ZR1 (the first one I have seen) at the show. The owner had a group of his buddies with him. Spectators paid attention but were not in awe. After all, how many Corvettes have they seen? Yes, its a sharp car, but how much sharper than a Z06? By the way, nothing against Corvettes...

Also interesting: I was offered $1500 by a guy to drive it for a day. Of course, I declined. Two other guys asked me to take them for a ride. Others want to just sit in the driver's seat to see what it feels like inside. I do not see this kind of reaction to any other cars at the show. I do walk around and look at all the other cars. Every one of them.

So, yes, you can showcase your car by driving it around, but you won't know the extent of what people, many people, think about the car. For example one guy told me he likes the R34 better. Not a problem. So, give it try...
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
caloia
Registered Member

Reply to NJNYCGTR:

First of all, if this "show" occurs every Friday night, it sounds like a cruse-in and not a car show. Yes some of these give awards and lot of them are class specific, Mustangs, Corvettes, American classics, etc. So the GT-R wouldn't be welcome just as any other car not of those categories. However, some are open to all cars.

The cars shows I am talking about are usually sponsored by a business or organization like a fire department or lumber company and each of the entities holds one show each year. Most of them are open to all cars. Some are not. The ZANYZ club has their show in early summer and is open basically to all Datsun/Nissan sports cars. I went to their show with my GT-R. They practically dragged the car and me into the show because the car was part of the "family".

The GT-R is hard to fit into a specific class at most shows because of the American car orientation. But usually the show will have "Top 20" or some number meaning the twenty best cars at the show. You're not ranked first to twentieth, just that yours is one of the top twenty cars. Some shows have an "Import" class (GT-R fits in there). Some shows have generation classes ( 1990 - present; GT-R can fit here). Some shows have a new car class.

If your car gets a Top 20 award at a show where 200 cars are present and almost "all" of them are American classics (pure and resto-mods) and muscle cars (pure and resto-mods) and your car is one of the few foreigners, then it has done quite well considering the emphasis of the show.

Try to find a web site that lists up-coming shows in your area (depending on how far you want to travel). See what classes are offered and decide whether you want to attend.

As far as preparation I assume you are completey stock and you have titanium (would love to see it). I did the Zaino thing (z5-z6-z5-z6-z5-z6 then z2-z6-z2-z6-z2-z6) but I don't think that is at all necessary. Besides the labor/results is not justified over using two or three coats of pure carnuba wax (I use Mother's) and something like Lucas Quick Mist for touch up at the show along with a California duster (I use mine at three or four times during the show. Black's a bitch).

Just show up on the day of the show. Registrations usually begin around 9:00 in the morning and judging usually around 12:00. So get there at least by 11:00 AM.
The fee is usually $10. The Cars for Cancer show yesterday was $20 and $10 for spectators. Spectators are usually free.

The only other thing I would say is leave your ego home and just go for the fun of talking to people about your car. Especially if they have never seen one before, they won't leave you or the car alone. If you win something all the better. Modifications to cars help them get better awards, but I'm not doing that. I'm satisfied with tropies and plaques from eight out of nine cars shows. And after a while where do you put them all.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
caloia
Registered Member

Hey discodan,

You said "The VVIP editions are those first delivered by Nissan worldwide to the Middle East." Are you saying that these cars were only available to the Middle East and if so I wonder why not also to other areas of the world like the U.S.. Is there a web site where one can see what the gold trim looks like?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
discodan

Hey Caloia,

Interesting thread this quite a different perspective and read. I have enjoyed it. Now I'm no expert on the numbers or dates, so others (UAE) can correct but from I understood is that a special arrangement was done between so pretty important people over here and a special release of 300 vehicles was made for the ME marketplace. Further to this the first cars ever delivered, anywhere in the world was to a certain few here in Abu Dhabi quite, quite some time before anywhere else in the world. I can remember seeing the first black one I think March last year.

I'll get some pics of the gold trim (haven't done this so probably should) - but's not that great its just some gold inserts on the seats, some on the door and the door sills have a gold insert. The value comes from the personally signed letter from Nissan.

Cheers.

Sold MB SLK55, previous life... R32 Skyline GTR with T78 single turbo conversion, OS Giken head and 720bhp.

Oh no, what have I done.... will I not learn... R35 now with Exhaust and intake!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
caloia
Registered Member

discodan,

Thanks for the info. The gold trim sounds like that extra touch of class. Can't wait to see the photos.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
novagtr
2010 GTR Premium

In the metro Philadelphia, PA region there are very little GTR's on the road.
I just got my 2010 GTR and this car draws looks and attention from a wide audience of people.
I am surprised at the number of women/females who really like how the car looks. I did not think that the styling would appeal to them, especially with how sinister the car looks in black.
So far the looks and comments have been positive and everyone believes that Nissan as made a great move bringing the GTR to the U.S.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
NJNYCGTR
Registered Member

Caloia - thanks for that thorough reply. I checked with my friend and he said it is done ever friday and that it is a cruise-in, not a car show. I will see what shows are in my area and maybe try to enter one before the end of the year. I agree to just got to the show for fun and if you win, even better, but not necessary to have a great time.
The cruise-in in we went to had an old school ice cream truck that was still working and they were selling actual ice cream out of it. We were stuffed from dinner and dessert already, but had to each get our own treat from the ice cream truck lol.
If you are ever headed down this way let me know, maybe we can meet up and you can see the Titanium in person. I sometimes go up to saratoga/albany area (not too far from schenectady i think), but havent made the trip in the GTR yet. If i am headed up that way I'll send u a message.
NJNYCGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
caloia
Registered Member

NJNYCGTR,

Saratoga and Albany are about 25 miles apart. Schenectady is close enough to both. I don't know where you would be coming from but I'll guess based on your handle (NJNYCGTR) that you could be anywhere form 150 to 250 miles away. If you've only take short trips this might be a new experience. I think the car rides just fine on the highways. Also gives you a chance to tromp the pedal a few times...
Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
lemaratee
Registered Member

Default Cute Diplomat GT-R

Nice Stillen GT-R

620 HP and 2.9 0-60
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2009, 05:01 AM   #14
discodan

Novagtr,

Couldn't agree more. My partner, she loves it to death and loves being 'seen' it, typical female of course, but all of her friends really like it for its 'muscly-mean-lookiness' as they describe it!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #15
lemaratee
Registered Member

GT-R VS ZR1.. watch youtube..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1-w1...ofilepage#t=56
Attached Thumbnails (CLICK TO ENLARGE!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	11082009238.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	2564