Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(304) : eval()'d code on line 2
Drive experience in JDM GTR - SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
downunder

Talking Drive experience in JDM GTR

Had the opportunity to drive a drive one of the first JDM cars to hit the country yesterday and here are some brief impressions. Firstly in order to benchmark my reference points let me say I owned and tracked a mark 1 gt3 (now sold), currently track a (lotus) 7 replica, and a fully prepared civic type R for tarmac rallying.
I was out of town on business when I found out that a friend of mine had imported a gtr. Some quick calls and i had arranged my schedule to meet up mid afternoon. I arrived at the restaurant mid afternoon and after some brief instruction on how to select gears and start the car my friend said "give it death" and walked back inside to finish his meeting (and finish the wine). Well I was a bit nervous trying to negotiate heavy mid afternoon traffic and figure out where to drive to make the most out of the opportunity. I decided to head out onto the motorway...Auto mode changes up to the next gear very early so you end up in 4th or 5th gear soon after edging away from traffic lights. and smoother than I thought - very stressfree and easy.
But this is not what a gtr is about so flick the stick across for manual give it a bit of stick in 1st, flick the right paddle for second without lifting off and whewee it is faast. A bit if a thump into second but again not as much as expected - about as much as a fast manual change at the track.
Well there was way too much traffic on the motorway but hanging back and then getting the hammer down in 2nd then 3rd sees 160kph is a flash.
No real ability to test handling but the steering is very meaty and direct. There is no slop in the straight ahead position, a small turn and the car moves immediately. Nice. Downchanges are very good too. At slow speeds the change is quiet and smooth with no noticeable throttle blip but at high revs say 3rd to 2nd there is a big blip of revs and still very smooth.
The interior is high quality and everything feels solid and well put together.
Interestingly I get nods and thumbs up from passing cars. I pull back into the resaurant carpark and a fellow comes up and want to talk about the car and listen to the motor rev.... its that sort of car.
I get back to the the table and my mate is all fired up "did you give it a proper go" and he's ready to take my order.... hmmm think I need a v spec for a rally car...
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

First off...welcome to our community!

Next, thanks for the write up. Were there any shortcomings or downfalls that you noticed about the car? It's always good to have as many opinions as possible!

PS- your friend is a good friend!

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
downunder

Thumbs up Downunder

Thx JB
No negatives from a driving point of view. As a road car the weight is no issue given dynamics and HP. Track may be different over many laps. It is a big car in terms of footprint but rear seat room is tight. V spec in my opinion should definitely have rear seats deleted given that they are not that practical. I was a little self conscious of the size in city traffic and parking so it was a little difficult to sight the corners and judge width but that issue would ease with more familiarity.
The car is a bit noisey with mechanical sounds coming from clutch and diffs I think. Not a problem and similar to the locking diff noises when reversing a gt3 in tight spaces. Just part of the appeal.

I found the ride - sometimes noted as too stiff in writeups- fine although I didn't drive on back roads and left the shocks in normal mode.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

I agree about the 'sounds' from the transmission. It is barely noticeable, and no where near as bad as a 1993-98 Supra Turbo 6-speed!

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote