SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
ATLsupra
NGTRC Sponsor

Default Nissan instructs dealers to reprogram GT-R launch control

Interesting news from Nissan.

According to the dealer directive (below) and a subsequent report by InsideLine, Nissan has begun implementing a software change on around 50 GT-Rs awaiting dealer delivery, along with "vigorous encouragement" for current owners to bring their vehicles in for reprogramming. The onboard computer modification will supposedly offer "acceleration similar to that with the current launch control," but will do so without disabling the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC). At launch, revs will be reduced from 4,500 rpm to somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500 rpm and the clutch engagement has been reprogrammed to limit driveline stress. And this isn't just for Stateside GT-Rs. All the vehicles sold from here on out, no matter the country, will use the revised programming.

Nissan North America's chief of product public relations, Scott Vazin, told IL that the situation, "...has been blown way out of proportion." And according to Nissan, less than 1% of the vehicles between 16 and 19 cars out of the 1,750-1,800 GT-Rs delivered to customers in the U.S. have been affected. Furthermore, Nissan is sticking to its guns about disabling VDC, making it clear that the only time the system should be turned off is when the vehicle is stuck in the mud or snow. To make sure that point is driven home, a revised customer disclosure form will be required for all new GT-R sales from this point forward.

The dealer bulletin is below and... well... you know what to do in the comments.

DEALER DIRECTIVE

Nissan has enhanced the Model Year (MY) 2009 GT-R by incorporating new MY 2010 programming that will optimize clutch engagement control for improved drivability. This upgrade also improves vehicle acceleration with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) ON/activated.

Nissan will provide this MY 2010 specification upgrade to MY 2009 GT-R owners at no additional cost. Nissan has already incorporated this programming into the GT-R vehicles in its U.S. inventory and will resume shipping of those vehicles to dealers. We will advise you soon on how to install this new program into all MY 2009 GT-Rs (see below).

The GT-R will continue to offer supercar characteristics of exceptional handling, maneuvering and overall driving experience. This upgrade provides the consumer improved drivability and enhanced acceleration performance with VDC ON (as required by the warranty). Standing acceleration capability with VDC ON (VDC-R mode) will improve compared to the original model year 2009 performance while such acceleration with VDC OFF will be moderated. Customers should be reminded to drive safely and obey all traffic laws. [Please note independent media reports of 0-60 drive times with VDC OFF (or what the media call "Launch Control") on closed courses with professional drivers will likely increase after this change.]

The GT-R Owner's Manual expressly warns against driving with the VDC OFF (except to free the vehicle when stuck in mud or snow) to avoid damage. Repeated acceleration launches with VDC OFF have resulted in some reported instances of damage to the transaxle. Repairs for damage caused by driving with VDC OFF are expressly excluded under the terms of the Nissan GT-R New Car Limited Warranty. Except when stuck, there is no reason to drive with VDC OFF.

This change was initially implemented with the start of MY 2010 GT-R production and has been completed for all 2009 GT-Rs still in NNA inventory... In a few weeks, you will receive the Technical Service Bulletin explaining how to implement this specification change for all remaining 2009 GT-Rs...

Attached is a REVISED Customer Disclosure Form With Modification Notice, which must be used with all customers who buy or take delivery of a MY 2009 GT-R.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/29/n...aunch-control/

Chinchi
SpeedForSale.com Parts Manager
Telephone: 770-777-4774
---
ATLsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
mmc2488
Registered Member

Sounds like a cover up to me.
mmc2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

I called this TSB a long time ago This was a no brainer. I think it will be good for the GT-R, as the lower launch RPM's times will not be a lot slower than the current RPM (since the car will already be at peak boost anyway) but will make the transmission live much longer due to less shock. Less transmission failures will increase interest from the public, as the current tranny issues (due to abuse) have given the car a peculiar reputation...

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #4
DarinF
Registered Member

Wow, less than 1%.
DarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
ksmith073

My GT-R is one of the cars effected. It has been sitting in a local delivery depot for the past month and half while the lawyers have been developing the new release language. I got a call from the dealer yesterday that vehicle is now in their possession and I will pick it up today. I understand why Nissan felt they needed to make the change, but they sure did a poor job of communicating with their customers while they were trying to solve the problem. Let's hope they have learned something about customer service. I will be smiling later today as I join the ranks of GT-R drivers, not just owners.
ksmith073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Sharif@Forged
Registered Member

This is a great thing. Now you can launch the car, without turning off VDC, and not jeoperodizing your drivetrain warranty cover. Not only is the launch RPM lower but it's not nearly as violent.

Good stuff all around. A guy on the other forum already had the flash done, and is seeing 0-60 times on his gtech of 3.7 to 3.8 seconds.
Sharif@Forged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
mc
"powered by HKS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged View Post
This is a great thing. Now you can launch the car, without turning off VDC, and not jeoperodizing your drivetrain warranty cover. Not only is the launch RPM lower but it's not nearly as violent.

Good stuff all around. A guy on the other forum already had the flash done, and is seeing 0-60 times on his gtech of 3.7 to 3.8 seconds.

http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/200...stified?blog=4
2009 Black Obsidian GT-R #0278. Powered by HKS. Legamax Exhaust. Racepipe. Hybrid filters
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Sharif@Forged
Registered Member

LOL...stalker!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Look at him trolling! It's been a while, how have you been?

Jeremy Blackwell

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
mc
"powered by HKS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBlackwell View Post
Look at him trolling! It's been a while, how have you been?
pretty good man. na i just dropped in to see if you guys had heard the info and was gonna clarify how it works if needed.

been good... getting ready for this big track day at VIR as you know about! sharif and I have teamed up on it aswell and im just trying to help spread the word on that.

thats about it. i'll try not to be such a stranger

but yeah back to the new VDC launch technique. it works exactly like LC except tamed a little to 3K and its warranted

"The change allows this method of acceleration to be done consistant with the requirements of the Warranty (VDC on)"

i would encourage all your members to have it done as its 75% - 80% of what launch control was but with peace of mind on a 80K car

later
2009 Black Obsidian GT-R #0278. Powered by HKS. Legamax Exhaust. Racepipe. Hybrid filters
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3

Last edited by mc; 02-03-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Steve Theodore
GTR fan

I've read of some GTech timings made with the new programming that sounded pretty competitive too (on another GTR forum). The new programming sounds like a generally good thing for most owners and potential buyers of GTRs.
Steve Theodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
mc
"powered by HKS"

yeah i ran consistant 3.8's with the new VDC launch. it still hesitates like hell just mashing the gas so i estimate its good for 3 tenths off 0-60 acceleration
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
Old 02-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
Steve Theodore
GTR fan

mc,

You're the one that I recall reading about on the other forum getting the reflash. Thanks for being such a guinea pig for the online GTR community!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
mc
"powered by HKS"

yeah i did it for a couple of reasons. the main one was to not have to worry about how many times ive turned VDC off to use launch control or what is gonna happen if something breaks.

this new technique is covered under warranty so i can just enjoy the car without having to do some math equation in the back of my head about how many launch controls i have left. i went to my local 1/8 mile track a few months ago and did about 10 runs... on the last run i had a struggle in my mind to do LC or not. i finally decided that i couldnt bitch out and used it once. and yeah it was alot faster.... after that day i was like i dont want a car that i have to bargain with and only use it to its best potential a handful of times on rare occasions... so this new update gives you a safe way to launch the car..... is it gonna be 0-60 in 3.2 or 3.3 like launch control? NO but you are gonna get 3.7 3.6 or something like that consistantly and under warranty. i can name you guys a handful of 100K 200K cars that are 4sec cars so if a mid 3 or so isnt good enough then i dont know what is. besides the GT-R isnt focused on being a straighline car

so to me its a win win situation where you can not have to second guess the car anymore. its not the trannys are fragile its when you launch a 3900 AWD car at almost 5K rpms over and over thats just brutal... so i think nissans only mistake was making the technique a little too aggressive.

im glad nissan kept the technique of brake boosting though rather than just taking away launch control. if i recall correctly porsche actually advertises their launch control and i "think" theres is around 3K aswell.

nissan should have just came out with this to begin with last year. instead we have a PR nightmare where now every uneducated person outside the GTR community who skims articles online thinks the car is fragile. you dont know how many times people come up to me asking about the car and the FIRST thing they say is about warranty for VDC or some BS like that.

well now i can just shut them up by showing them the new VDC launch control
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3

Last edited by mc; 02-04-2009 at 06:14 PM..
Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
Steve Theodore
GTR fan

Very well said. Although I don't own one, I can only imagine that I'd agree 100% with everything you said as an owner.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
mc
"powered by HKS"

its all about a balance of performance vs reliability of a semi mass produced car.

for instance take a second and name the cars that are 3.2 0-60 cars then look at the price and how many of these things are produced. besides the 1K hp veyron i dont any weigh near what the GTR does and off the top of me head dont think they are AWD. ( maybe the GT2 if it does do 0-60 that fast)

so i might be accused of being a Nissan company cheerleader but i think toning down the LC to make it acutally useable in a practical way was the right decision and hopefully will help this bad stigma the GTR as acquired blow over
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc View Post
...i think toning down the LC to make it acutally useable in a practical way was the right decision and hopefully will help this bad stigma the GTR as acquired blow over
Well said...I agree 110%.

Jeremy Blackwell

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
Old 02-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #18
Sharif@Forged
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc View Post
so i might be accused of being a Nissan company cheerleader but i think toning down the LC to make it acutally useable in a practical way was the right decision and hopefully will help this bad stigma the GTR as acquired blow over
Yup, and a great excuse for Nissan to increase HP, or drop weight in subsequent models...to get back down into the low 3 second range.

I am waiting for the lawsuit that claims that the neutered LC was a bait and switch. Then we'll have a Nissan approved reflash that increases power to kick us back down to 3.3 second range. Oh wait....that is what the Cobb AP is for.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
lckridge

Default Dealer says they haven't seen it yet.

I just had my 1000 mile svc performed (at 1600 miles). I asked about this "programing" directive from Nissan. They said that they have not heard anything about it. Has anyone had this done yet?
lckridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
ATLsupra
NGTRC Sponsor

mc in the above post has Nissan re-programmed the ECU.

Chinchi
SpeedForSale.com Parts Manager
Telephone: 770-777-4774
---
ATLsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #21
mc
"powered by HKS"

it looks like letters will be going out to 09 owners starting feb 16th
1/4 mile 11.34 @ 122.3
Old 02-14-2009, 01:41 AM   #22
armanalaysay
Alvin

I'm attaching pdf of an article from Edmunds on this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RevisedLaunch.pdf (110.8 KB, 143 views)
armanalaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #23
Steve Theodore
GTR fan

I'm hopeful that owners have similar results to what we've seen published so far...it might ease the pain of losing the 4500 rpm LC functionality at least!
Old 02-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
REK125
Registered Member

I also had it done. Shifts seem smoother. After reviewing the data, having it done seems like a no-brainer. It eliminates a big warranty issue without jeopardizing much straight-line performance at all.
REK125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
MECMAR
MECMAR

mc , your car doesn't soud like stock , anything changed , maybe full exhaust !?
MECMAR is offline   Reply With Quote