SpeedForSale LLC

Go Back   SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum > Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion
Register FAQ Members List i-Trader Ratings VIN Registry Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
stuhagen
Registered Member

Default New Actuators

Have been reading alot on all of these new "tunes" that are becoming available. One thing in common is the weakness of the stock actuators. Like there good to around 12psi. So if you reflash, Cobb, DLC, Mines, whatever, the only way to conceive a solid 16psi to redline is new actuators?
That being said, is there anyone out there that have actually installed new ones? If so, is it hard to do? Do they actually help? I still cant decide if I am going Cobb or DLC...but it seems like new actuators are a must in either case.

Stu
stuhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
nickbegonja55
Registered Member

really, with that info you've researched, im going to order them now and when come in i will let the world know, unless of course someone beats me to it. Garage Saurus right, actually you have to send them yours to modify i think?
nickbegonja55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Yep with Garage Saurus you have to mail in your actuators. Our stock hybrid turbo upgrade is STILL in the works. We are now going with IHI centers rather than Garrett as originally planned. We should have upgraded actuators out first, and are aiming to have these actuators ready to be tested within a couple weeks. They will also be standard on our upgraded IHI twins. We will have a full pictorial write up here in the Parts installations forum on how to install both the actuators and the hybrid twins.

More info coming soon...

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
MiamiGTR

The prob with the net is sometimes people relay info that's not 100% accurate.
I have the ASR DLC. The actuators hold the boost under certain conditions. Example. If I step on it from 1st it'll hold to 14lbs. Same on 2nd if you're on the throttle and switch to 3rd it will do about 15lbs. On 4th all hell breaks loose and you go on hyperspeed at 16-17 psi.

Now I'm not arguing that actuators would do a hell of a difference. Since you'd be able to hold the 16-17psi from the beginning.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
stuhagen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGTR View Post
The prob with the net is sometimes people relay info that's not 100% accurate.
I have the ASR DLC. The actuators hold the boost under certain conditions. Example. If I step on it from 1st it'll hold to 14lbs. Same on 2nd if you're on the throttle and switch to 3rd it will do about 15lbs. On 4th all hell breaks loose and you go on hyperspeed at 16-17 psi.

Now I'm not arguing that actuators would do a hell of a difference. Since you'd be able to hold the 16-17psi from the beginning.
Very intersting~! This is exactly the opposite of what I have heard. It is the "load" that prevents them from holding the boost. Oh well, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Are you one of those test mules for the DLC for ASR that I am reading over at Nagroc? If so, do you think this DLC adds the same HP as the Cobb at or around 60whp? Seems like the DLC might be a better bang for getting the HP. Also, if it holds true, there is a better chance of this not being detected by the flcker?

Stu
stuhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
mindlessoath
Registered Member

Flickr will detect that u have higher boost than stock - it won't detect the actual module. So u have to run the car for the 38 hours or whatever it is to clear that data out if something breaks.

The hks gt570 kit and garage saurus both have upgrades but you have to buy the whole kit for the hks and as Jeremy said u have to send ur stock actuator to japan to get that done.

Asr said something about external wastegate built in to exhaust flange or some thing ... How would this help over up grading actuators?
Latest post: on February 25, 2010, 8:10 pm
Submit Stories, News, Images, Events, etc... by email
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
babibengkak
Registered Member

I have the Cobb stage 1, 91 oct, 1.08b map. If I floor it, the boost meter shows that it is 1.2 bars, i think that's about 16 psi?
So would this be unstable or would this be overloading the actuators? Since you are all pointing out that the actuators are only good for 12 psi?
babibengkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
mindlessoath
Registered Member

that statement is a little weird i think. i dont fully understand it, but what i THINK is the idea is that it cannot continosly stay at more than around 12psi the full power band. it can peak at higher values it just cant maintain it throught the power band iirc.

with upgraded actuators it can stay constaint throught the whole power band as well as at higher levels, well thats the way im reading it. the stock actuators will work at 1.2bar.

the stock injectors are limited to something like 19psi tho. so no matter how good an actuator you put on you will need to upgrade actuators to get higher boost than that.

Annother alternative is upgrading the turbo itself for higher power at lower boost levels. the ones from ssp include upgraded actuators and turbine.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
mindlessoath
Registered Member

Quote:
the stock injectors are limited to something like 19psi tho. so no matter how good an actuator you put on you will need to upgrade actuators to get higher boost than that.
I ment upgrade the injectors

- Just saw new actuators from forge, power enterprise, and mines! - pics are from TAS2009 via scotts-gtr via annother forum
Attached Images

Last edited by mindlessoath; 01-19-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
MiamiGTR

Any word on when these will be available in the US?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
mindlessoath
Registered Member

no dates set. quarter 2 at the latest is my guess. i would say sooner than later. some of these parts are waiting for the projects to finish, so depends when they finish the demo cars.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
MiamiGTR

I know it's only been like 10 days since I asked. But I'm anxious.

Any updates Jeremy?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
JeremyBlackwell
SpeedForSale.com

Still waiting on our turbo builder...like pulling teeth...

Dodson Certified Pro Dealer

Staged Power & Chassis Upgrades List: CLICK HERE!
Parts installation articles: CLICK HERE!
Brake Parts Weight Guide: CLICK HERE!

Jeremy Blackwell
EFI University Certified Engine/ECU Tuner & ASE Certified A1/A8
President, Speed For Sale LLC (Sales@SpeedForSale.com / 770-777-4774)

---

Founder,
www.300zxClub.com
&
www.SpeedForSale.com/forum
JeremyBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

I think HKS EVC 5 can hold the boost stable like actuator,despite Mine's 600 kit and HKS GT570 with stronger actuator(but still need a EVC 5),the Amuse HBL(high boost map version) works without change the actuator but with EVC 5 boost 1.05kg/cm get 596.9ps(x1.1 or 542.6whp) and boost to 1.25kg/cm reach 611ps!and the boost won't drop at high rev.the Amuse GTR works well when mid rpm boost about 0.85 to protect the gearbox and gradually up to high rev about 1.05kg/cm(or to 1.2kg/cm as you like).seems HKS EVC 5 works the MAIN job.Cobb can do a huge different at mid range 1.2 kg/cm(careless about the gearbox?)but drop the boost at high rev to 0.85kg/cm.....personally,i think Cobb should work with EVC 5 or 6 too.but it need to reprogram a good map works with EVC like Amuse did.and that's why i vote Amuse^^ http://www.webamuse.co.jp/r35gt-r/spec.html
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #15
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Note: EVC 5 Japan= EVC 6 US
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
mindlessoath
Registered Member

Evc is not needed with the cobb unit. Evc is not exact either.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindlessoath View Post
Evc is not needed with the cobb unit. Evc is not exact either.
Ian,Amuse and HKS GT570,both using EVC to reach high power.they confuse me by thier horsepower form.then i guess the EVC helps a lot
As you said,the boost taper down even with the ECU change need the up grade atuator to stable it , or one unit Cobb AP will done all?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #18
mindlessoath
Registered Member

With upgraded injectors cobb can acheive better results than a gt570 kit alone without a boost controller iirc. But you have to get a custom tune and I believe that 600hp requires turbo pipes at a min. The cobb software gets a true or much closer reading of boost than any boost controller... Because its being controlled by the ecu. That's not to say the boost controller won't get the desired affect at all... Its just that the cobb software can do more and be tuned to your preference and in most cases add more horse power because it edits the map as well as adding boost and reliably through the ecu. Cobb has not released a kit yet... Just the accessport and pro tune software to registered tuners as well as some other products. I don't know what's taking them so long.

Anyways... Mines had to add a new ecu with a boost controller to achieve 600ps as well as hks and amuse. It appears that amuse is the only one without upgraded actuators... They don't achieve the same power band iirc. They can't hold the boost to redline but max power is achieved.

I think all I'm saying is that cobb software with upgraded actuators and turbo pipes will be the highest results of all the tuners right now. Until haltech, uprev, and power enterprise release there solutions to the public which are said to have much more control than the cobb (which cobb is still upgrading so maybe just a matter of time).
Old 02-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #19
Norman
malaysiagtrclub.com

thanks for your wonderful explanation^^