SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum

SpeedForSale Motorsports Forum (http://www.speedforsale.com/forum/index.php)
-   Client Forum - GT-R, Supra, Viper, Vette, and sports car discussion (http://www.speedforsale.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1,000 mile check-in experience (http://www.speedforsale.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1527)

Bajaboy 10-15-2008 03:23 PM

1,000 mile check-in experience

I'm curious if anyone has had their GTR's alignment adjusted different from the "track tuned" setting that it comes with from the factory. I just had my 1,000 mile check-in and they asked if I wanted it set up as it came or for more typical street driving. I had them reset it to the same specs it came with (turns out it wasn't off by much), but I am curious how adversely the "street" settings affect the handling. Basically they were going to set the alignment to 0 degrees camber instead of -2 degrees. Anyone test things out before and after these adjustments? Or has anyone found that it hooks up better on the drag strip with the 0 degree camber setting? Seems like there would be more contact patch on the tires which could give a little better straight-line traction. Thoughts?

GT-ROSS 10-16-2008 12:09 PM

I had mine adjusted for street and my tires are definately wearing less than, abuddy of mine who left them at the factory setting!

citopilot 11-04-2008 09:53 PM

Just dropped mine off for 1,000 mile service. They called me and asked if I wanted set up for "street" or "performance". Apparently it came with the street setting and the performance setting changes the shift points and camber. Also, they mentioned it changed the "turbo settings" but not sure what could change there maybe engine mapping? Either way I told them go with performance so I will let you know how it works out.

Greg S. 11-04-2008 10:06 PM

So, can you ask for both a street setting strictly for the wheels...and a performance setting for, well, track performance?

008 11-05-2008 12:02 PM

If you drive on the track with zero negative camber you will destroy the tires in 20 minutes. Has anyone gotten an difinitive answer as to what the actual differences are? I can't imagine they really set it a zero degrees of camber even for the street, it will exacerbate the understeer issue.

Bajaboy 11-05-2008 12:24 PM

I had a long talk with the tech at the 1,000 mile service appointment about this subject. Even though the tech seemed to be pushing the 0 degree camber setting (the street setting really is 0 degrees!), my experience with autocross racing led me to believe that setting it like that would seriously affect my "spirited" street driving experience. You can have them set it to whatever setting you want, so it's definitely something to think through before you go for your 1,000 mile check in. After all was said and done, the "-2 degrees" I had agreed to came out to -1.6 degrees on the very nice printout he gave me. That's NOT a whole lot of camber for a car expected to see high cornering forces! Weird to think that Nissan would want customers to set it to 0 degrees, but maybe I'll think otherwise if the tires wear out the inside edges in a couple of months. I can't think of a single sports car that I've owned that started with anything close to a 0 degree camber setting. Anyone else have any thoughts/experiences with this process? I really would love to hear if anyone found that the street setting hooked up any better on the drag strip, as I can see that being an environment where that 0 degree setting allowed for significantly more contact patch at launch.

008 11-05-2008 01:18 PM

wow, thanks BB.

citopilot 11-05-2008 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I just spoke to the Service Manager and picking up my car in a few minutes. He explained that he set shift points and turbos to the more performance setting. As to camber he dialed it just back from the performance setting and wanted me to drive it for a few days. Said they would adjust for free if I did not like the setting. I will post my impressions.

citopilot 11-05-2008 06:24 PM

Picked up car and cant notice the difference on shift points or turbos. Ride seems a touch harder but not that noticeable. Glad this was a free service.

pmblanch 01-19-2009 10:56 PM

I took my GTR to the dealer for the 1000 mile check and they didn't have the equipment for the alignment and sais it wasn't necessary. Called Nissan GTR to complain and they said they would get back to me in 24 hours. That was 4 days ago.

Dealer never informed me of the requirement for 1000 mile service. WTF?